PDA

View Full Version : hair algea

luckydog104
08/31/2007, 09:39 PM
I have some hair algea starting to get a little out of control, well to me out of control. What is the best way to rid my tank of it. I have already performed several water changes cut back a bit on my feeding , even pulled some of it off my rock so what next?

smm607
08/31/2007, 09:43 PM
Do you have a sump/refugium? If so culture it to there and let it grow in the fuge, this will create a nutrient export, basically the hair algae in the sump will be using all the nutrients in the water and leaving none for the the algae in the display. Also using RO or distilled water and testing for phosphates will help, if phosphates are very high use a phos sponge for three days... This worked for me while i was culturing the hair algae into my refugium

luckydog104
08/31/2007, 09:53 PM
Ok how would I culture it to my sump? I don't have a refugium but I do have a 30 gallon sump. May be a dumb question but I like the idea of having a nutrient export that I can't see. I use ro/di but I did fill my tank with tapwater so I have suspected that to be the cause.

smm607
08/31/2007, 09:56 PM
Scrape or scoop it off and place it in the sump, there may be different ways of going about it but thats how i did it, You will be able to see it and the sump needs to be lit with a light that will encourage plant growth or it will die off and you will still have it growing in your display