PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Question?

bbehring
08/31/2007, 11:41 PM
Was looking into adding a chiller to my system. Was originally considering the JBJ 1/5 hp chiller for my 55, 15 gal sump. Thinking I would have capacity for my upgrade next year to a 150 to 180 tank. I have a line on a good price on a used 1/4hp JBJ Arctica Titanium and wondering if I should I go with the 1/4hp. I'm assuming it would just cool my 55 tank quicker and use less energy as it would be more efficient? Also what's the best pump of this size unit? I will have about 3 foot of head and about a 4 foot run to/from the sump. I'm assuming it would be best to plumb into the sump?:confused:

T Man
09/01/2007, 12:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10679948#post10679948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bbehring
Also what's the best pump of this size unit? I will have about 3 foot of head and about a 4 foot run to/from the sump. I'm assuming it would be best to plumb into the sump?

Chillers don't pump water....there is the drop in type and the inline, like that 1/4 horse JBJ. If you decide to buy the JBJ, it would handle your 150-180 g upgrade. I have a 1/4 horse Pacific Coast on my 210 w/ halides and pc's and it keeps my tank below 82 even here in the desert.
Another question you have to ask yourself is....do I really need a chiller? What temp are you looking to maintain? What type of lighting/heat? If the highest daily tank temp that you have is 84 degrees why change it? I needed a chiller because I can only afford to keep the temp in my house at 85 here in the desert. TinMan

OliverM3
09/01/2007, 05:58 AM
I would probably go with a Mag9.5 or Eheim 1262 That would give you around 650 gph. The minimum flow for the 1/5 and 1/4 is 480gph.
I think plumbing it in to the sump is the easiest but going back to the tank is more efficient. But you may need a bigger pump depending on the head.
I have my 1/5 going back to the sump. It doesn't really matter my 1/5 is more then enough for my 76g.
I just direct the output to the return pump.

bbehring
09/01/2007, 09:14 AM
t-man, I understand the in-line vs drop in. I wanted to know what size pump for the inline 1/4hp jbj version. I have evap fans running on my tank and sump right now. I have the fans controlled by my RK2 unit. both series of fans (double bank in the sump and 4 - 5" bank on the tank, blowing across the water). I have maintained temps ok, but the fans are anoying due to noise levels. I have my set temps to have the fans turn on at 81f and off at 80f. During the day, while my 250w mh is on, and on really hot days, my tank temp get up to 83f. This is with my ac set to 78f. It's been well over 100, in fact this past week we've had 2 days hovering over 110. I had read a couple chiller threads where once installed, the set temp on the ac could be raised to 85 and the tank still maintained a steady 79f. I think this is where I want to head to have a more stable temp and allow the set temp on my ac to be raised 6 deg or so. My delimna, is should I buy the 1/5hp JBJ unit or the 1/4 hp JBJ unit knowing that the larger unit will be cooling a small volume for another year but will be quite adequate for the 180 gal upgrade when the time comes? Also was wondering if the 1/4hp unit would run more efficient on my smaller tank? Thoughts?