PDA

View Full Version : How to put on DE bulbs, maybe I fried my new bulbs?

mikekman
09/01/2007, 09:37 AM
Hey guys, bought some new Phoenix 14ks from hellolights and I put one of the new bulbs in. Well instructions say to put the extruded part (bumpy part) uppermost. I am thinking that means towards the reflector? Well I did that, turned on the lamp and all of a sudden the bulb lights up a bit and goes zzzzzzzzzzzzz BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ then off the bulb goes.

I'm like holy cow! I take the MH unit down and see if I melted soemthing or whatnot. Nothing melted. So then I'm like maybe I put it wrong. I take the same bulb out and have it point towards me meaning when I put the MH unit on the tank, the pointy extruded part pointed downwards at the tank. Well did that and turned on the lamp and it comes on and within a few seconds tank is looking good from the Phoenix 14ks.

Well anyways, does someone think I messed up the bulb or its ok? Also how does everyone install their DE bulbs? I thought I put it on right.

Thanks
Mike

d4a2n0k
09/01/2007, 10:13 AM
They will only fit one way. They have the ceramic which stops you from putting them in backwards. Sounds like you didnt have it seated properly the first time. I cringe when I change DE bulbs because I always feel like Im going to break them. They need to snap into the housing and depending on the brand of bulb, it can take a lot of pressure before they seat correctly. Some have wider contacts than others.

If the bulb now fires you should be fine.

reefingagain
09/01/2007, 10:43 AM
250w de will only fit one way so I would say you have 150w.
You were correct the first time the nobby pc should be pointing to the reflector.

mikekman
09/01/2007, 10:52 AM
d4a -thanks for the tip

reefingagain, the first time I had it pointing at the reflector but the bulb did that buzzing thing and turned off. It was in tight so not sure what happened. The second time I had the nobby thing pointing down at the tank and it fired up correctly.

I have a 150 HQi. Even if it is pointing downwards at the tank, its ok right?

Thanks
Mike

PaulErik
09/01/2007, 12:46 PM
For some reason the lamp was not making a proper connection with the sockets when you had the bulb the other way.

Personally I would operate the lamp with the tip pointing up. This assures most of the halides will heat up and get into the arc stream. With the tip pointing down this can cause a cool spot and a more unevenly heated arc tube.

reefingagain
09/02/2007, 11:11 AM
try it again if it doesnt work contact the manufacturer for a replacement.