PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish picking on new clownfish

Lyscer
09/01/2007, 02:23 PM
I have had 2 ocellaris clowns in my tank for the last 20 months. One is definately a male and the other a female. I have read that ocellaris's can be kept in groups of more than 2 and be okay, so I was at the LFS and found a very pretty black and white ocellaris so I picked it up and the two orange ocellaris's in my tank have been hasseling the new black and white fish. His tail-fin is looking tattered and his main fin has a little bite out of it. How long should I expect this behavior to last? I keep waiting for it to host in my BTA that the other 2 clowns hate, but I'm thinking that it isn't going to because it has showed no interest in it. Should I be worried about the beating he is taking? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Doahh
09/01/2007, 03:07 PM
It's going to last forever... take it out ASAP

TD13
09/01/2007, 07:36 PM
yes take it out ASAP they are known to not get along with other clowns except the species of which they are

Lyscer
09/01/2007, 07:53 PM
they are the same species. All 3 are ocellaris.

Doahh
09/01/2007, 08:38 PM
Black Occ are NOT the same as ORANGE Occ... just listen and take it out

rcypert
09/01/2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah I would have to agree move the fish. If you want to have groups of clowns try adding them all at once and sticking to clowns that are not only the same species but also look alike.

Lyscer
09/11/2007, 07:05 PM
Just as an update. It has been 10 days since the fish was introduced and all appears to be well. The aggression has pretty much stopped except when the black and white goes in the other clowns territory, they chase him off. Other than they they get within 4 inches of each other while eating and they don't fight. So looks like my tank is large enough to support the black and white while the other ones are paired.

I talked to a couple of friends that do clownfish breeding and they had a black and white clown spawn with a orange clown, so I think that some of the advice that has been given on here is a little misleading. They believe that the reason they were fighting is because I already have a mated pair in my tank and once mated, they don't play well with others even if they do look alike and are the same species. They said that they have seen many black and whites get along with oranges when they are both not female, as you can only have 1 female per tank generally speaking.

Mr James
09/11/2007, 07:22 PM
Everybody advises to take it out ASAP for the sake and health of the new fish. And you leave it in. Why ask in the first place?? I don't understand this?? Now, are you going to find a mate for the new addition?? And go through this all over again??

Roy G. Biv
09/11/2007, 07:30 PM
Add a teardrop, or an all orange percula as its mate.. That would be freaky!!

chrisqueenz
09/11/2007, 07:57 PM
You should really remove that fish if it continues...