PDA

View Full Version : red slim remover ??????????????

newreef06
09/01/2007, 04:32 PM
I have red slime and some hair algea in my tank. I was wondering the best way to get rid if this. I might try a sea hare. Also is red slime remover any good?? I never used it. I heard its good for this. Is the a better way to get rid of it. I would sophine it out. But the water fills the bucket to quick to really get any of it out

scott

MalHavoc
09/01/2007, 05:45 PM
Are you measuring your nitrates? What's your flow and filtration like? If you've got algae, you probably have nutrient problems.

Buster4900
09/01/2007, 05:55 PM
High phosphates is a cause of what you are describing. Phosban or similiar product will help alot. Red Slime remover worked great for me. It will clear up the slime algae in a few days.

newreef06
09/01/2007, 06:46 PM
Did it harm fish or corals. I also hear your protineskimmer over flows like crazy. When you turn it back on

dgrego
09/02/2007, 10:37 AM
Just used red slime remover yesterday. Yes the protein skimmer overflows like crazy. It's still off today as it still overflows. I'll post results in a few days. The instructions say to repeat in 48 hours if needed then wait a week.

Tyrinius
09/06/2007, 10:07 AM
I used red slime remover and it cured my tank in one day. I only need one treatment. Worked like a champ, however I had to keep my skimmer off for almost 1.5 weeks to prevent it from overflowing. It did not harm any fish or corals in my tank.

jeffhand
09/06/2007, 12:56 PM
cheimy clean

JStorey
09/06/2007, 05:00 PM
I have used chemi clean and it works great. You need to follow the directions exactly though. When you hook your UV back up, add carbon and turn your skimmer back on after the large water change it does over react and takes a week or so before it settles down. I usually set my at it's lowest setting with very little air flow and gradually day by day increase it until it is back to normal.

bertoni
09/06/2007, 05:26 PM
The chemical approach usually kill the cyanobacteria, but it normally returns with a month or so, if there's an underlying problem. They've also been known to crash tanks. I wouldn't use one again.

MalHavoc
09/06/2007, 05:29 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but I will do so again here. Red Slime Remover is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Yes, it kills cyanobacteria, but it also kills the other good bacteria in your tank, and, as bertoni says, it won't fix the underlying problem of high nutrients (phosphate, nitrate), and poor water flow. Quick fixes are not the way to get ahead in this hobby.

marduc
09/06/2007, 09:29 PM
The previous 2 posts are spot on, take heed to those.

Sure you will hear a lot of people saying it worked for them, been there done that. It will return with a vengeance.. It kills the cyano, it kills the nitrifying bacteria, one you want one you don't. suddenly you have decaying mats of cyano, invisible dead bacterium also decaying, they become a new source of nutrients as they decay, producing ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates (providing your cycle has not been completely disrupted). There is nothing left in your tank to process this influx, and now your tanks already gimpy ability to process nutrients has just been kicked in both kneecaps. The cyano will return.. with a vengeance, the difference being now you have even LESS ability to deal with the nutrients that are the cause of the problem.

Red slime remover is a quick fix, which is like bargaining with the devil, it may look good for the short term, but is much more trouble than it is worth long term.. don't do it!

Mavrk
09/06/2007, 11:05 PM
Increase flow, lower nitrates, lower phosphates, make sure you have enough oxygen in your water. Forget about treating, just fix the cause and remove what you can by hand.

Rewd
09/06/2007, 11:26 PM
Increased water flow and redirectingpowerheads plus siphoning as much off as I could during water changes worked for me. When doing water changes I doubled the amount I normally take out from 10% to 20 for two weeks. Cyano was gone no time and has not come back since (returned to regular 10% weekly water changes since).

tgirl6868
08/07/2010, 07:13 AM
I used red slime remover and it cured my tank in one day. I only need one treatment. Worked like a champ, however I had to keep my skimmer off for almost 1.5 weeks to prevent it from overflowing. It did not harm any fish or corals in my tank.
What did you use? What was the name of the product I need it.