PDA

View Full Version : Need direction for fish only

bbdecepticonbb
09/01/2007, 11:44 PM
I moved so i tore down my reef and I need direction to a thread or just advice on how to do fish only. I can handle the lights, but what kind of filtration. Barebottom vs. sand...how much live rock...water changes...

Comments or direction to a thread...please

michaeljames
09/01/2007, 11:50 PM
having reef experience you have an advantage already, going FO is just alot more lax than a full blown reef, of coures you'll want to stive for "perfect" levels you'll find FO tanks are alot more forgiving. as for filtration a good protien skimmer and good flow though the tank, as BB or sand goes, completley up to your tastes, also when you have live rock it becomes a FOWLR (fish only w/live rock) Best of luck!

jdieck
09/01/2007, 11:51 PM
The operation and equipment setup could be basically the same just need less rock and light.

wooden_reefer
09/02/2007, 12:06 AM
I don't think you "need" less live rock. If you have many fish, especially some big ones, they need some open spaces to swim. In such a tank one may not have room for as much LR as in a typical reef tank.

Less LR may mean less than enough nitrification medium. If your FO tank is low in bioload, even reduced LR may still be enough. But if you have some large fish, best is set up a wet-dry.

If wet-dry is your only filter, nitrate will tend to be high because the wet-dry filter is uniformly aerobic. Denitrification does not take place.