PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Units

Chibils
09/02/2007, 09:33 AM
Is there anything wrong with eBay RO/DI units (such as http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Reef-6st-100GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-Water-Filters_W0QQitemZ120155380557QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20684QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )?

I've heard of a couple people using them and I'm curious as to a) why they're so cheap and b) if they're really any good.

lilchris
09/02/2007, 09:58 AM
With that system, the only thing I see is that you will have problems w/ your DI filter exhausting quite frequently. If you purchase that system I would recommend taking the inline DI filter off and putting an add on DI filter. Look at the filter guys they are great and Jim is awesome. But you need to make sure the system has all the correct filters elements. Don't see or know of any problems. But I would like to suggest try The Filter guys.

AZDesertRat
09/02/2007, 02:17 PM
They are cheap for a reason. Thye use low quality components and filters and they give you marginal water quality in comparison to a true reef quality system. Expect to spend $150-$160 on a basic reef quality system that will live up to its claims. Don't fall for the e-bay crud, it wil cost you more to get it working right than if you had bought the correct unit to begin with.

Fishbulb2
09/02/2007, 02:29 PM
I started out with an EBAY water general unit and would greatly advise against it. The DI would be used up quickly and was more expensive to replace (because of the dinky 16oz di cartridges). I've since over hauled the unit with a spectrapure membrane, Filter Guys dual 24oz DI canisters, and twopartsolutions prefilters. The unit now works spectacularly. I get over 98% rejection from the membrane and the DI resin is exhausting very slowly. I've made about 500gallons of water and the first cartridge inline is only about half exhausted. Would I do this again or recommend it? Heck no! Although my unit is working well now, it has cost me so much more money to get to this point than if I had just purchased an equal caliber unit in the first place. You will be happier if you just go with one of the RC vendors and get a great unit from the start.

Chibils
09/02/2007, 09:38 PM
That's what I thought, but I've heard a lot of people using them and figured there must be some reason. And I wanted to make sure it was just the price. :)

In that case, can someone hook me up with a good TFG setup? There are a lot of options and I don't know what I want.

AZDesertRat
09/02/2007, 10:16 PM
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com - 75 GPD Premium Series
www.thefilterguys.biz - 75 GPD Ocean Reef +1
www.spectrapure.com - 90 GPD MaxCap
www.purelyh2o.com - Optima Vision
www.melevsreef.com - reef system

Chibils
09/03/2007, 08:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10690097#post10690097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com - 75 GPD Premium Series
www.thefilterguys.biz - 75 GPD Ocean Reef +1
www.spectrapure.com - 90 GPD MaxCap
www.purelyh2o.com - Optima Vision
www.melevsreef.com - reef system As far as the buckeye goes, why the 75gpd instead of the 100 for $6 more?

lilchris
09/03/2007, 08:46 AM
I also use airwater&ice. They are good units, I did have to do a little upgrading but I think they are good quality units. I had to add a DI because I had an inline unit. Everything else was great. I have the Dual reef system. It make DI water for your aquarium and drinking water w/ the holding tank and the water faucet.

If you don;t like them, I highly recommend Jim at the Filter guys.

burris
09/03/2007, 11:03 AM
I think AZDesertRat has said before that you should get the 75gpd membrane because it has a higher rejection ratio than the 100. Higher rejection ratio means your DI cartridges last longer. You pay only $6 more now but you pay a lot more over time for the same volume of product water. Also, RO systems perform best when run continually rather than being started/stopped repetitively.

AZDesertRat
09/03/2007, 11:18 AM
The Dow Filmtec 75 GPD RO membrane is 98% efficient while the Dow 100 GPD membrane is only 90% efficient. This is very significant since for every 2% you increase the RO efficiency you DOUBLE the resin life. So your DI should last at least 4 times longer with a 75. The Spectrapure 90 GPD is essentially a 75 GPD but it is individually hand tested and guaranteed 98+% efficient at 60 psi. Dow uses 50 psi as their number but at 60 psi and 77 degree water temperature they also produce 90 GPD.
I own the Spectrapure MaxCap myself and highly recommend it.

Fishbulb2
09/03/2007, 11:19 AM
Exactly what burris said. The 75gpd membrane has a higher average rejection rate.

Chibils
09/03/2007, 04:33 PM
Aha. Thanks. :)

Is the Ocean Wave+ sufficient?

AZDesertRat
09/03/2007, 05:22 PM
For the few $$ more you get a true vertical refillable 10" DI canister and 20 oz cartridge, a pressure gauge, a TDS meter etc. Its worth the difference as you will be buying all these things very soon anyway.

HBtank
09/03/2007, 05:31 PM
I really like my OR +1 from Thefilterguys

I am getting 98% rejection and over and was as easy as can be to set up.

I am sure the others are almost identicle in performance as they use the same materials (the real difference here might be service, where thefilterguys really shine), except the maxcap. If you have really bad water I would get the maxcap, it is definately a step above the others and does have different standards/materials. The cost savings of its greater efficiency and DI usage will really come into play and outweigh the upfront costs.

My tap was not high enough, and my water demands were not large enough for me to jump up to a maxcap.

Chibils
09/03/2007, 05:34 PM
And that's the difference between the Wave+ and the Reef+1?