PDA

View Full Version : Slugs?

Zucker26
09/02/2007, 11:02 AM
I have noticed recently that little slug-like organisms have been popping up all over my tank. It started with one a few weeks ago, now I can usually see 8-10 if I check it out at night. They're about a 1/4' long (sorry, no pics yet). Today, in the middle of the day, I noticed two of them shooting out this milky white liquid. Some of my fish seemed to be eating it, but it only lasted for a few minutes.

I figure whatever they are, this is probably some type of spawning. Without pictures, anyone want to hazard a guess as to what I have in my tank? Are they bad?

justinl
09/02/2007, 11:09 AM
might be stomatella. do they have little shells on them? the shell would only cover about half the body.

catfisher
09/02/2007, 12:00 PM
I had some tiny sea hare looking creatures a couple weeks ago. They were about the same size. I haven't seen them lately. They seem to be harmless. If only I could rid my reef of those damn Zoa eating nudibranchs!

cabowabo
09/02/2007, 12:11 PM
They are Somatella Varia and are herbivorous. They spawn like rabbits and provide a valuable food source to corals and fish in that milky stuff you see them shooting out. You will notice they release towards a current to disperse the eggs. Just today I observed one of my larger ones releasing and the tiny eggs were visable and very numerous. My Gorgonian immediatly started feeding from them. At night you will observe tham feeding on algea like crazy.They are incredibly benificial to the home reef ecosystem, especially if you have many corals. My bi-color blenny also loves to feed on the eggs. They come on live rock usually from Indonesia. Local fish stores should sell them but I have never seen them for sale.

Zucker26
09/02/2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone. They are definitely stomatella. This website http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/stomatella_varia.htm describes exactly what they look like and what I witnessed today. Thanks everyone!