PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to lower the temp.

Flytrap
09/02/2007, 01:26 PM
I have a 29gallon w/ a CPR Aquafuge 2 Refugium w/ Protein Skimmer 24" and CPR 18 Watt Refugium Light it also has a 30" Dual Satellite 2x65 Watt w/Lunar Light on the main tank. I have 3 Maxi-Jet 400 powerheads. I would like to put some seahorse in that tank but my temperature is 75.9 during the day when all the lights on. I was told that this is too high. Can anyone help?

pledosophy
09/04/2007, 03:37 PM
IMHO

Pull out two of the MJ 400's, those type of jet stream powerheads are kinda harsh for seahorses in smaller tanks IMO. YOur not going to need that much flow, but if you do plan of running a lot of flow for a seahorse tank you really need to use the spraybars IME. The MJ's produce heat so that will help.

That light fixture sits pretty close to the water's surface IME ( I have that one too) and it does run kinda hot, if you can lift it up a little bit it will help.

Adding a clip on fan to point at the water's surface during the times when the temp is above 74F is also a great way to drop temps. There are temperature controllers that can help automate this but I just kept mine on a timer to go on before the lights and go off after. Using a fan will increase the amount of RODI you will need to use for top offs.

The other option is a chiller. :D

HTH

Good Luck.

buffalobunch
09/05/2007, 07:29 AM
I got this fan off of ebay. It keeps my tank between 72 and 74. Its great because you can clip it anywhere.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Halide-Aquarium-Chiller-Cooling-Fan-4-fan_W0QQitemZ230167626635QQihZ013QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pledosophy
09/05/2007, 12:04 PM
That one would work and is fancy. The new vortech fans also put out a lot of air and are almost silent. Around $30.

Personally I use a 6" clip on style fan I got at Target. I think it was $6.

The other ones definitley are slicker though, but since my fan is in my sump,I dont really care about the looks anymore.