PDA

View Full Version : Are my Interceptor calculations Right?

Snowboarda42
09/02/2007, 01:34 PM
I'm treating red bugs, I have the big tablets which are good for 380 Gallons.

My tank is a 40B, about 35 gallons water, a 20L sump thats 3/4 full. My water volume is appx 50 gallons total.

380/50=7.6

I cut the tablet into 8th's (like a pizza) and I plan on dosing one piece for each dose.

Plan is to take out all my hermits and crabs, leave my snails, my conch, and my Cleaner (can't catch it), dose 1 piece, wait 6 hours, change 10G and run carbon. Do the same a week later and once again another week after that.

How does my plan sound?

d4a2n0k
09/02/2007, 02:17 PM
Sounds good. Dont worry about putting a little extra interceptor in. Some have dosed many times the recommended amount with no ill effects.

Ive unfortunately had to do two full treatments and it works like a charm.

d4a2n0k
09/02/2007, 02:17 PM
DP

Snowboarda42
09/02/2007, 04:19 PM
I forgot to ask also, will a conch be affected by this?

d4a2n0k
09/02/2007, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure about the Conch, I've never had one.

melev
09/02/2007, 09:35 PM
No, it will not.

What I did to divide my Interceptor tablet was to crush it into dust, then used a tiny spoon from one of my Salifert test kits to figure out how many scoops I could get. If I remember correctly, I think I got 5 heaping spoons.

I'd just use one scoop for your water volume. Shrimp and hermits will be affected, so it is best to remove them first.

Snowboarda42
09/02/2007, 09:52 PM
I have a different scoop than the one on your site that came with my Salifert Alk tests, but a crushed up 8th of a tab is about a spoonful in my case.

I'm going to try to remove both emeralds, and all the hermits I can find, but the Cleaner is going to be tough to catch. I heard that it basically just moves REALLY slow when Interceptor is in the water, so we shall see. I can't get to my Pistol Shrimp, so I think I'm going to try to keep its burrow entrance as closed as I can during the treatment. If I'm lucky, it will have little effect.

melev
09/02/2007, 10:55 PM
I doubt that would work (blocking the entrance) as water goes through the gravel, rock and sand. I do hope your red bugs will be gone though. :)

hahnmeister
09/02/2007, 11:25 PM
Some snails are killed by interceptor... oddly enough. It made my astrae and cerith snails very sick. The ceriths died off all together (both the little reproducing ones and the larger ones), and the astraes recovered (after a day or so of lying out of their shells helpless like they were drunk).

I have actually seen skunk cleaners make it through though.

DaveMorris
09/03/2007, 01:12 AM
My cleaner shrimp survived the first treatment with minor "drunk" like effects. That lasted about a day and then he was fine. When I dosed the second time he was dead within 30 mins. Like you, I could not catch him. The only other thing I lost were all of my pods and the red bugs.

aquarius77
09/03/2007, 01:22 AM
I would not break it down to eights... the more the merrier IMO. Duration is also of importance, i let it run in my tank for 6 days. I dont have bugs.