PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting Anthias

bosborn1
09/02/2007, 02:56 PM
I finally got rid of a few aggressive fish and I am going to order some Anthias

What Anthias do well in a high flow brightly lit 180. I was looking at the Lyretails.

How many Anthias should I start with for my harem? How many should be male/female?

Thanks
Scott

drives300
09/02/2007, 03:18 PM
Lyretails are good and hardy. In a 180 just get 1 male the rest females(3-5).

I think bartlets are my favorite colorwise but they will all turn male on you.

Squarebacks are relatively easy as well. It is reported they dont like bright lights but I have them in my 90 with no problems.

ssavader
09/02/2007, 08:17 PM
I just purchased 1 male and 2 female Lyretails. They are really beautiful. Still hiding mostly after day 1 but when they do come out, they are stunning.

bosborn1
09/02/2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone think I should go Dispars or Squareback???

Also still in my display is a Tomato Clown. Should I ditch this fish before the Anthias? The only other fish that would concern me is a Solorensis Wrasse, but he's pretty tame.

Dave Cox
09/03/2007, 03:56 AM
Personally, I'd go for all-female and let nature take it's course, with one or two of the dominant ones switching to male in time.

Two reasons -

1/ It's fun to watch !

2/ A natural pecking order is established within that group of females, as opposed to introducing a group with one male already.

CarlC
09/03/2007, 06:01 AM
Dispar males can be pretty agressive and dominating over the females.

I don't know how they would do under bright light's but flavicauda is turning out to be a nice species. They are active, curious, not very aggressive, and eat just about anything they can fit in their mouth's. They don't form a tight group like some other species.

Carl

bosborn1
09/03/2007, 09:22 AM
I will take a look at the flavicauda. I will have to see if there on my LFSs wholesale sheet. I've got a ton of store credit that I need to use.

What common name would a wholesaler list a P. flavicauda

I was thinking that I was going to avoid Dispars...I am not real big into the way they look.

Scott

CarlC
09/03/2007, 09:34 AM
The few places that had listed them as Tongan anthias.

Carl

pezcubano
09/04/2007, 11:03 AM
My dispars are beautiful and pack a ton of personality! The dominant male is a bit aggressive, but he's all bark, no bite. He used to bother the clowns in my tank, but now that there are other fish in the tank he seems to concern himself with making sure the other anthias are in check.
In so far as colors, to me they are far superior than the bartlets and lyretails I've seen at my lfs, but that's just me...

bosborn1
09/04/2007, 07:08 PM
Lyretails are on the way. I got a deal on them. My LFS owner traded then towards my credit for cost+shipping. Couldn't past that up. He was ordering a big bunch of them for some other customers so I got in on a deal.

So tommorrow is the day. I am getting 4 females and 1 male....I am excited.

yoboyjdizz
09/04/2007, 08:03 PM
Good choice.. I've added 1 male and 4 females lyretails a little over a month ago and love them! Post pictures when they get comfortable!

CarlC
09/04/2007, 08:36 PM
Keep them in QT for a bit to get them eating well and to get over the rigors of shipping. I think you'll be happy with them.

Carl

tmz
09/04/2007, 08:44 PM
Good Luck with the lyretails(squampinis). I love the rich orange color of the females and the blue eyes. I currently have 4 barlets in a 120. They're beautiful too. Three of four morphed to males but there are plenty of hiding places and they seem ok after about 2months.

bosborn1
09/04/2007, 09:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10702874#post10702874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CarlC
Keep them in QT for a bit to get them eating well and to get over the rigors of shipping. I think you'll be happy with them.

Carl

The only QT I have running is a 15L. Will that do? I actually have two of them running but I would hate to split up the Harem.

Thanks
Scott

CarlC
09/04/2007, 09:31 PM
There going to be split up for shipping so you should have no problem for a week or so with them being split. It will let them settle down and give you a chance to look them over really well to make sure your not letting sick fish go into your display. Squammies change sex slower than some other species so no problems there.

Carl

tmz
09/04/2007, 09:36 PM
Give them some room and hiding places in quarantine or they may tear each other up.

CarlC
09/04/2007, 09:43 PM
I usually use a few pieces pvc. I have some 4" diameter pieces that I glued suction cups onto that have worked well so far. I stick them to the bottom or sides so the powerhead doesn't blow them around.

Carl

tmz
09/04/2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks for sharing the suction cups on pvc technique.
Tom