PDA

View Full Version : cyanobacteria help

MRICKEN1012
09/02/2007, 09:19 PM
First is it bad?? How do you tell the difference between this and corraline algea?? How do you get rid of it??

Percula9
09/02/2007, 11:30 PM
Cyano can be brushed off the rocks coralline can't. Vacuum it out of the tank. Check the phospate and nitrate levels. Elevated levels of these chemicals fuels its growth. Do a series of water changesto lower the nutrient levels. It can be treated with slime remover, but use this as the last resort. Turn up your skimmer to wet skim a little.

gsellers1245
09/02/2007, 11:43 PM
increase flow over affected area, run gfo (phosphate remover) as some test results will show no phosphates...thats because the cyano is consuming the phos faster than it can be detected or its masking them...Honestly if you use the slime remover your skimmer will go nuts for a week...Add a refugium, feed less, decrease photoperiod...the list goes on man you just have to find out what is leading to your problem...

Percula9
09/02/2007, 11:57 PM
Actually I have had a powerhead directly on a rock and watch cyano grow right there where flow is the highest. So I think flow may help somewhat, life can do pretty much as it pleases. The best thing is to remove its food. Phosban will remove phosphates from the water. A refugium is a good idea, because it removes these nutrients before nuisance algae can. If you do decide to treat the skimmer must be shut off during treatment. It takes like two or three days to treat. Once it's done, a 30% water change and turn skimmer back on. Only treat if there is no other way.

sabbath
09/03/2007, 06:23 AM
I think the reason that increasing flow helps is because it keeps more of the solid nutrients from settling on the bottom and moved into your skimmer, fuge....

TracyZeuner
09/03/2007, 11:58 AM
I had the same problem and nothing got rid of it all together.I wet on vacation for a week and forgot to set my lights on there cycle so they never came on-for a whole week! Good news is that it killed all the cyno and it hasn't come back in 5 months. Once it starts, it is really hard to get rid of it all. I also stopped feeding so much, its 2 small feedings per day instead of 1 big one.

bertoni
09/03/2007, 11:58 PM
Generally, limiting food input or exporting more nutrients will help with cyanobacteria issues.

JeffersonReef
09/04/2007, 03:59 PM
I had probs with cyano. I added more flow (a maxi jet mod) and it was gone in a matter of days. Also, I used to feed one frozen cube and some pellets each day... now I just feed a few pellets twice a day.... reduce feeding, increase flow (to ensure pollutants make it to the skimmer and dont settle and break down), and also make sure you do water changes and top-off with rodi or nsw, as tap water and other water sources have phosphates and silicates, etc. GL!

EvilE
09/04/2007, 10:13 PM
does Chemi-pure elite help with this algae?? It is supposed to remove phosphates and silicates etc........

JeffersonReef
09/05/2007, 08:53 AM
chemi-pure will kill it off... but it doesnt solve the underlying problem. You need to figure out what is wrong in ur system, or the bac will likely come back. Chemipure doesnt remove phosphates or silicates or anything else... it simply kills the cyano (if im not mistaken).

J. Montgomery
09/05/2007, 11:28 AM
Try replacing the activated carbon and DI resin cartridges in your RO/DI unit.

bertoni
09/05/2007, 11:34 AM
Chemi-Pure is unlikely to help much with cyanobacteria. I don't think it's very effective at reducing phosphate. Chemi-Clean is a product for killing cyanobacteria. It can cause problems, and I don't recommend using it.

EvilE
09/06/2007, 05:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10705444#post10705444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JeffersonReef
chemi-pure will kill it off... but it doesnt solve the underlying problem. You need to figure out what is wrong in ur system, or the bac will likely come back. Chemipure doesnt remove phosphates or silicates or anything else... it simply kills the cyano (if im not mistaken). You are correct about Chemi-pure, but I have Chemi-pure Elite, which is supposed to remove phosphates and silicates

EvilE
09/06/2007, 05:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10706414#post10706414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
Chemi-Pure is unlikely to help much with cyanobacteria. I don't think it's very effective at reducing phosphate. Chemi-Clean is a product for killing cyanobacteria. It can cause problems, and I don't recommend using it. You don't recommend using Chemi-Pure elite or chemi-clean??

bertoni
09/06/2007, 05:47 PM
Chemi-Pure might be useful, but I don't think it'll do much for cyanobacteria on average. I wouldn't use Chemi-Clean or similar products (again), since they have been known to crash tanks and usually are only a temporary band-aid.