PDA

View Full Version : water change Q

Chef Reef
09/02/2007, 11:01 PM
i know this sounds stupid and i think i already have the answer to it..

my tank is 30 gals,...... if the water is evaporating and im adding about 2 1/2 - 3 gals of water a week is this sufficant or even remotely close to a water change?

(my answer is no btw and i think this becuase just cause the waters leaving the stuff in the water is staying behind cuase it doesnt evaporate... *duh*) but im just making sure.... cant hurt to ask..

also is that much water evaporation normal?

aquarius77
09/03/2007, 01:43 AM
NO, not even close to changing water.

This may sound even more silly than your question... Are you topping off the tank with fresh water ?

Evap rate can be influenced by many things.

ZooZ
09/03/2007, 04:10 AM
still got to do water changes along with top off

moo0o
09/03/2007, 05:02 AM
id say that much water evap is about normal.

MeuserReef
09/03/2007, 07:57 AM
I get about 1 gallon of evap per day on my 30.

I also do a 5 gallon water chage once a week.

revenant
09/03/2007, 09:01 AM
the only way to get certain toxins out of your water is to remove the water physically from the tank.. evap is actually making the toxic levels higher as the toxins don't evap with the water... smaller water volume, same level of toxins.. do the math. :) when you add fresh back to the tank you restore the balance a little, but it is by no means like doing a water change. so you HAVE to change the water and top it off also.. try to not top off more than 1gal at a time on a 30gal system so the salinity change doesn't shock anyone. :)

loosecannon
09/03/2007, 05:21 PM
Chefreef; Puting in 30 gal. a week is still not a water change! A water change is whan you take out dirty water and put in nice new mix up water.