PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow

ginger7286
09/03/2007, 07:35 AM
How do you know when you have enough water flow? I have a 125 and I purchased 2 Tunze Turbelle Stream Powerheads. They seem to create a sand storm no matter where I place them. I have found one of my anemones inside the outer screen one day and thought it was dead. Thankfully it has rebounded nicely. I have turned off the powerheads since then. I think you are too much for my tank. I am interested in purchasing two Rio powerheads as I want to have good water flow for my inverts and soft coral that I wish to purchase soon. How many GPH in a powerhead should I be looking for?

neib
09/04/2007, 09:01 PM
it's hard to say exactly how many gallons per hour you need. It is not wise to make generalizations about flow as it depends on the set up generally softies can deal with lower flow rates but you wouldent want to put softies in an acropora tank as that flow rate would rip the flesh off your soft coral most likely. It also depends on the type of powerhead the tunzes are really good because the flow is disperesed and koralias are really good for this as well. Even if you got say one powerhead that was rated for what you want if the flow is concentrated into one narrow stream it won't do the tank much good. From what i have read you want to aim for something in the 20x tank turnover per hour range but others will have other opinions on this number. There is no ideal for all only an ideal for your specific set up that you need to play with to find.