PDA

View Full Version : Polyp extension

Dave VG
09/03/2007, 05:19 PM
What makes polyps fully extend on SPS? Or maybe a better question is what do you do to get good polyp extension?

drbronx
09/03/2007, 08:12 PM
The factors that effect PE remain something of a mystery along with coral coloration. the real answer is we don't know though you will hear and read many oversimplified explanations. We don't even know if it is a sign of coral health or possibly even a sign of distress. It probably is the result of the interaction of many variables including flow, water chemistry, lighting, tank inhabitants, nutrient density, etc., etc. Nate made a very interesting observation with which I concur; that the presence of angelfish decrease PE.

Jeff
09/03/2007, 08:18 PM
I have found good water parameters and flow are more important then anything. Good stron light is very important. SPS like low nutrient water so phosphate and nitrate export is essential for good growth and polyp extention.
A mature system with regular water changes will have great growth/polyp extention.

Jeff

nwrogers
09/04/2007, 07:08 AM
What Jerry said is absolutely correct! We really have no idea why polyps extend or why they do not. We know that if they are being picked on by a fish or parasite you will have poor PE but that is it. That does not mean to say if you have poor PE that you have a bad fish or parasite because you can have poor PE without those things. PE does not necessarily say anything about the health of a coral. Corals can be perfectly happy and growing without PE. I wouldn’t obsess over it Dave because ultimately no one knows what PE means and all signs point to PE cannot be used as a gauge of coral heath or happiness. Anyone that says anything different is blowing smoke IMO…

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10695753#post10695753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
I have found good water parameters and flow are more important then anything. Good stron light is very important. SPS like low nutrient water so phosphate and nitrate export is essential for good growth and polyp extention.
A mature system with regular water changes will have great growth/polyp extention.

Jeff

I agree with you that good water parameters and flow are very important but I don’t believe they are going to affect whether or not you have PE. I agree that good light is important but I wouldn’t say that it needs to be strong. That is a huge generalization and I prefer to stay away from statements like that. I would also like to dispel the myth that SPS like low nutrient water. In the wild SPS are found in water that is rich with nutrients! The water is low in phosphate and nitrate but water is anything but nutrient deprived. I agree that export is essential and so are water changes and a mature system but we can’t say that those things will lead to great PE. They may lead to great growth but PE is not a sign of whether or not a coral will grow. I have seen many systems in person the no PE and great growth and coral coloration. Bottom line is what Engine 7 is saying is what you will hear from most people. There is some truth there but there is a lot of misguided information as well.

Stick with what Jerry tells you. Both Jerry and I have had many conversations about this stuff with Steve Lowes, who if you don’t know is as close to an SPS expert as it gets. Steve has been keeping SPS for a long time and between him and Jerry they have this game down to a science. You are in good hands with STRS Dave ;)

fatrip
09/04/2007, 07:16 AM
i have a question for you nate...why when you introduce an amino acid into the water to the polyps start to extend? i have started to put it in with a mixture of my fish food and after the lights go out i have seen much great PE on my acan as well as some of my SPS....

nwrogers
09/04/2007, 07:39 AM
Maybe Jerry can field that one :lol: Are you using Selcon?

fatrip
09/04/2007, 07:51 AM
im useing seachem's Reef plus but i am thinking about going to get some l-glutamine and start trying that instead to see if it has the same effects..