PDA

View Full Version : Downdraft skimmers, need to change bioballs?

FishTruck
09/04/2007, 08:44 AM
I am considering a big ETSS downdraft skimmer for a 400 gal setup. I have the space and the simplicity is appealing. I wonder though... do the bioballs need to be cleaned? Do they tend to become nitrate factories like they can in a sump?

Thanks for any advice.

Also looking at a large Deltec model (costs about three times as much).

RGM

burris
09/04/2007, 09:37 AM
Don't forget to compare power consumption. Downdrafts require a big honkin' pump. If the power consumption of the NW skimmer is less then it may turn out to be cheaper over the lifetime of the skimmer.

FishTruck
09/04/2007, 10:05 AM
Good point RE: power consumption.

Initial cost is not really the concern... your comment reinforces my thoughts that way.

I am looking for the most reliable, easy to adjust, and easy to maintain option that can reliably handle a large tank.

RGM

GSMguy
09/04/2007, 10:19 AM
Sequence Reeflo Orca utilizing the small efficent reeflo Dart NW
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1096170

the downdraft skimmers are not as simple as you would think and the power consumptions is large.

the reeflo is a great deal as well. a third the price of the competing Deltec and Euro Reef nw skimmers with less power consumption as well.

GSMguy
09/04/2007, 10:20 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1172064

skimmer club see it in action you cant go wrong with this skimmer IMO

FishTruck
09/04/2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the tip. Checking it out during my lunchbreak!

R

RichConley
09/04/2007, 11:48 AM
Downdrafts dont need nearly the pumps people think they need. They dont need nearly what a beckett does.

They need flow more than they need pressure. ( downdrafts have 1/2" to 1" nozzles. A beckett is about 1/4") That same Dart would run a BIG downdraft skimmer.

GTR
09/04/2007, 12:08 PM
There are so few bioballs in the skimmer that I wouldn't be concerned with the nitrate factory issue. I wouldn't clean them either. Once you got that thing setup you won't want to start all over again.

SteveU

mta
09/04/2007, 06:26 PM
My skimmer uses (42) inch and a half bioballs.I replace them every 8 months.This increases skimmer efficiency.Bioballs are very cheap and not worth the bother of cleaning.