PDA

View Full Version : Coraline in Overflow UTubes, Is it Ok?

DugJ
09/04/2007, 09:56 AM
Wondering if there is a negative effect on the flow of the tubes or possibility of breaking suction if coraline coats the tubes.

landlord
09/04/2007, 09:59 AM
I have had coralline algae in U-Tubes for several years and have never had issues with it stopping suction, or reducing flow by any noticeable amount. Occassionally I would scrape if off with a flexible cleaning wand I have just because I thought it was rather unsightly.

FWIW --landlord

Toddrtrex
09/04/2007, 10:17 AM
[welcome]

I would say about every 6-9 months or so I clean out all the coraline in my UTube, just more to be on the safe side. I just place it in a pitcher - upside down -- and pour in a vinegar and water solution, let it sit for about an hour, and all clean.

pelochas
09/04/2007, 10:19 AM
thanks for the great tip, i forgot to clean my uTube last night after cleaning everything else. coraline is tough to remove inside the u tube

seapug
09/04/2007, 10:44 AM
i'd leave it unless it becomes so thick it impedes flow. A good layer of coralline can keep the stuff you really don't want from growing there-- like hair algae.

Toddrtrex
09/04/2007, 10:57 AM
Actually, IME, I have found that it is easier for hair algae to take a hold when I have coraline. But each tank is different.

DugJ
09/04/2007, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't a complete coat of coralline stop all other growth in the tube though? Since it would block the light source to the interior of the tube? Or is coralline transparent enough to let light through? Does vinegar clean coralline off without scraping?

Toddrtrex
09/04/2007, 11:11 AM
This is just my experience, so take it for what it is worth. The hair algae will grow before the coraline can completely block all the light.

As for the scraping, I have still had to do a little bit, but nothing major. After it soaked for about an hour I just have to run a brush through the tube a few times and it is all clean.