PDA

View Full Version : Peacock is not moving

abrahamcho
09/04/2007, 05:37 PM
please help me i have a 6 inch peacock mantis and it doesnt move it just sits there with it's legs moving andit doesnt want to move. is it normal or is it sick. it is new to the tank.

Pea-brain
09/04/2007, 05:52 PM
I assume by legs you mean swimmerets? We'll need to know how long its been in the tank, tank size, ammonia, nitrite,nitrate levels, ph, temp,salinity. If you just got the mantis and put it in how long did you acclimate? How did you do it? and is it curled up?

Dan

yiliyang
09/04/2007, 06:17 PM
"He is dead Jim!"

Just kidding. The mantis shrimps are pretty tough, the only thing in your house that will kill him is floor wax fume and HIGH nitrate levels in his water. If you nitrate is above 100 ppm. You shrimp will act drunk for a couple of days and then die. If your water is old, change the water a bit, else all you can do is to wait.

Good luck.

abrahamcho
09/04/2007, 06:33 PM
okay um the swimmerets are fine they are moving, but the mantis itself is not moving it is just sitting there. it has been in the tank for 1 hour, 12 gallon JBJ nano cube, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-0, ph-8.2, temp- 78-79ish, salinity 1.018 or25. i acclimated for 1 hour and i put a burst of my water in every 5 minutes or so and it is not curled up. see whenever i am in my room the swimmerets go and when i leave they are still until i come in again. is it just stressed?

clutch
09/04/2007, 06:40 PM
your salinity would be low should be 1.023- 1.026 or 32 - 35 ppt. what was the salinity of the water it come from. 1 hour hmm i like to accumlate at least 2 hours. i would give it some time mantis's are tough....

abrahamcho
09/04/2007, 06:42 PM
really?! omg the fish store to put it to 23 so i put it down a lot. it was aroung 1.027 and i lowered it to 1.08 omg! i will raise it up! thank you clutch

lillurker
09/04/2007, 06:48 PM
whats the environment like? Do you have plenty of rocks for it to hide in? It might not be sick, it might just be cramped. For a 6 inch peacock a 12 gallon tank seems kinda small. Thats one of the lil tidbits of info, I was given before I bought mine.

clutch
09/04/2007, 06:51 PM
do it slow over a couple of hours, 24 if needed you'll learn that your LFS knows how to sell you stuff but if you were smart ask as many ? as you can before you make the right purchase... First advice don't buy a seaclone skimmer lol good luck

Pea-brain
09/04/2007, 06:55 PM
Don't raise it too fast or add salt directly to your tank. I once accidentally kept a mantis at 1.014 and it made it through. just don't make sudden changes. Everything else seems good except it should be upgraded to a 25 gallon at least. 12 gallons is way too small for a 6". Also in the future acclimate inverts slower if possible ;) I wish you luck. turn out the lights and leave the tank alone for a few hours too.

Dan

abrahamcho
09/04/2007, 10:38 PM
thanks everyone umm i put the salinity back up to 1.022 and the mantis is doing fine. it attacked my hermits though. 2/3 died. whatever though at least i saved one..>< anyways i hope it will live for a long time.