PDA

View Full Version : My primitive sump, need fuge advice

Noah_Count
09/04/2007, 07:50 PM
Below is a pic of my primitive sump setup. Please don't laugh, It did the job I wanted it to at the time I put it together which is hide all my equipment. I had no money to buy or build a custom setup and back when I did it I knew nothing of baffles or refugiums. A 10 gallon tank was the only thing that readily fit in the bottom of my 55 gallon stand. Now I would like to have a refugium and I can't figure out any way to divide the current tank where there is enough space for everything. Since I still am not able to spend a lot of cash on buying or building a custom setup and I'm not even sure I could build one I came up with another idea.
I have plenty of space on the other side of the cabinet so I was thinking of maybe putting a smaller tank on the side of the sump blocked up where it's water level would be the same as that in the sump and using a power head and U shaped siphon tube arrangement to circulate the water between the smaller tank and the sump. The smaller tank woukld then be my refugium. Kind of like a hang on back refugium but with the tank just setup by the side of the sump instead. I hope that makes sense. Any reason this won't work? Any other advice on what I might be able to try?
http://www.imagebucket.net/bucket/21273/sump.jpg

Noah_Count
09/05/2007, 01:33 PM
Dang! 34 views and not a single reply on whether my idea will work. I really need to know if my idea is practical before I spend money trying to do it. I'm also open to other cheap and workable solutions. Help please....:)

Chrsnwk
09/06/2007, 08:31 AM
I did something quite similar, but fed the refugium off of a tap on the main return line. The tank was also drilled just below the top and a pipe was ran back to the sump as a drain. I currently have a modified version of this still operating, but the concept is the same. It will work. you just need to be sure your drain line, be it U tube or hole, or whatever, doesn't get clogged or will with have quite a mess.

hope this helps.

Good Luck !

jcpatella
09/06/2007, 12:53 PM
Your 'primitive' sump is ten times better than my non-existent one! I'm currently looking into building one, and I've come across a site that offers a unique alternative to using baffles held in place by silicone:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/baffles.htm

If you used "EPDM" strips on your baffles, you might be able to avoid disconnecting your sump (to wait for silicone to cure).

Noah_Count
09/06/2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of tapping off the return line. If I did that I could put a valve in that would allow me to regulate water flow through my fuge. The valve you see in the overflow line is actually for noise reduction. I have a Lifereef overflow box which I love and he used to recommend that as a remedy to control noise. I see on his site now that he has some type of noise reduction device made especially for the overflow box. I'll also be sure to check out the url that was given as well.
Ummm, also... I feel very embarassed asking but which line is considered the return?:o :o :o The line from the pump "returning" to the tank or the line from the overflow "returning to the sump??:confused::confused:

jcpatella
09/06/2007, 02:08 PM
The return line is the line hooked on to your return pump, "returning to the tank." How well does your Lifereef overflow box work? I'm considering getting one myself.

Noah_Count
09/06/2007, 03:24 PM
I really love it. It's been very reliable and the wokmanship on it is great. It's been several years since I bought it but Jeff was really a nice guy to deal with. I kept changing my mind about the color of the inside box and he took it all in stride. I finally settled on black. I'm sitting about six feet from the tank and I can hardly see the box against my tank's black background.
If I could afford it, he would be the first person I'd call to build a custom sump.