PDA

View Full Version : MH lighting

Vin7250
09/06/2007, 08:12 AM
I have a 40 gal breeder that has a bit of a cyano problem that is being worked out.....once this is cleared up I want to add MH lighting to my tank, since it is a breeder and very shallow I dont think ill need anything too powerful. Right now i have 2x96watt power compact and was interested in adding the coralife hangon 150w MH clip on. Does anyone have any experience with this light?? and is this overkill anyways for a 40 gal breeder??? Also do you think i iwll need a chiller for this tank or because its only 150watts and its mostly an open air fixture will I be ok without one?? Any help would be great. Thanks

ShannHell
09/06/2007, 08:31 AM
I have used that light on my 29 gallon. It is a decent light, but the fan is kind of loud. I didn't run a chiller when I used it, but I think that would depend on the air temp of the room and what else you have running. I don't think its overkill for a 40 gallon. I have read about people who happily keep them on nanos, but I have never tried that myself.

Vin7250
09/06/2007, 08:41 AM
i think ill try this light, but anyother info would be appreciated....my tank always runs a little cool in teh fall winter and spring and a little warm in the summer but im sure once summer hits i can deal with maybe a few fans on it or something like that

Shooter7
09/06/2007, 08:41 AM
Is this light you speak of the Viper light? If so, I can say that when I was researching getting a light for my nano, the majority of what I came up with on that light was not real positive. Would encourage you to do your own fact finding though. I have a retrofit 150w MH on my 10g and did get heat problems with it, but a small fan in the canopy blowing across the water surface took care of it just fine...no chiller needed. good luck

jquailus
09/06/2007, 08:53 AM
i have the same 150 mh coralife light, i really like it now on my 30 tall, but i once had it on a 12 gal nano and i had a real problem with algea. if i were you i would have it atleast 12 in off the water on a shallow tank

Vin7250
09/06/2007, 08:56 AM
does it cause a heat problem in your tank???? and i heard something about the UV sheild doesnt cover the entire bulb is this true as well???? Id love to order this today but I am hesitating because of the heat problem that is possible and what i heard about the UV sheild. Im sure though that this product is a great intro MH setup espcially for $290.

Reefmack
09/06/2007, 08:58 AM
I run a Current USA Outer Orbit - 150W MH & 96W T5HO actinic. I was able to keep the temp. at 79-80 with an Azoo Dual clip on fan timed to come on with the MH, without needing a chiller. But, I run the house AC at 68-70 so that helps. I got tired of manually adding 3/4 g of top off every night so I installed a Tunze Osmolator ATO. Still cheaper than a chiller, with a lot less added on to the electric bill! For about 100 more than that $290 you can get the Orbit at petmountain.com. If you go for the MH/PC even less, and I think the Current is a much better fixture, and the fan is super quiet.

Vin7250
09/06/2007, 09:13 AM
what is the osmolator used for and how does that stop the top off??? im hoping to be able to do this without a chiller cause i definitally can not afford that.

Shooter7
09/06/2007, 09:18 AM
Osmolator is a topoff unit to replace evap water. Doesn't do anything to cool the water, really. Just set up some kind of fan on it and it will probably be fine. All my 10g needed was one small computer type fan blowing on it while the light was on and it stays rock solid 80 degrees.

Vin7250
09/06/2007, 09:23 AM
that is exactly what i wanted to hear.....so i guess you have never heard anything about that UV shield problem??

msn711
09/06/2007, 06:54 PM
I used that light on my 40br (the coralife clip on). I can tell you that if you only use 1, you will have dark areas on the sides. I started using 2. No heat problems if you run a fan when the lights are on. I think that UV shield scare was a bunch of BS. I've used that light for at least 2 years without problems. The fans are noisy though.

SNAKEMANVET
09/06/2007, 08:42 PM
I run the current that has 2 150s on a 20L, the reason for it is to get better coverage. With the 40 gal you might need to use more than one mh.jmo