PDA

View Full Version : somethings wrong with my angel

Arrg
09/06/2007, 12:52 PM
Does anybody know what is wrong with my angel fish I believe it's sick but I can't really figure out what it is.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/125517fishy.jpg

If anybody has any ideas with what is wrong with him please let me know I don't want the big guy to die. It was given to me by a fellow reefer he claims it was only eating his zoas and that nothing else was wrong. When he was catching him he said that he may have injured his nose and the top of his fin, but it almost looks like his scales are disappearing.

wooden_reefer
09/06/2007, 01:42 PM
I think it is bacterial infection. Look virulent and should be treated at once. Far beyond UV, do not use UV now. UV may degrade antibiotics.

Velvet or brook is a possibility, but I don't think so, especially it is not new from the wild, just new to you.

Treat aggressively with an antibiotic in QT. Copper to only 0.15 ppm may also be used in case it is indeed velvet, but this is a judgement call. With such a large fish gaseous exhange must be important in the QT. No chemical filter.

The big question is whether you have means to support it against ammonia surge. However, with such a large and valuable fish, I will do daily water change if necessary. Unlike with ich, with bacterial infection it will be decisive (life or death) within a few days. You do not need to keep changing water for weeks. You may also elect to or additionally use Amquel by Kordon to neutralize the ammonia.

If in case you have nitrification for your QT (may be a partition of cycled medium from your show tank), you should know that some antibiotics, such as kanamycin, neomycin, and maracyn (regular) will not wipe out your nitrification bacteria. Some such as chloro will.

Just curious, did you have a large UV in your reef tank when you added this fish?

Arrg
09/07/2007, 08:26 AM
he's in a 220g tank so the size shouldn't be a problem there's plenty of swimming room for him and he was doing great, but he may have gotten sick from being stuck in a sump for a couple weeks where the guy had him before he gave it to me. There's no question at this point that he's going to die.

I'm setting up a QT big enough for him now, to make him more comfortable I'll try some meds but it probably wont pull through, he was eating good up until today...

LargeAngels
09/07/2007, 09:02 AM
Looks like velvet. FW dip him right away, that will force most of them to drop off. Then treat with a copper like Cupramine.

Arrg
09/07/2007, 02:25 PM
trying to catch him now I think it is velvet from the looks of it and has almost all symptoms right now I just got to catch him now he's hiding under a rock right now which is making it rather hard to get but I'm working on it. Hopefully he'll get better in QT.