PDA

View Full Version : Pop Eye from trauma

JetCat USA
09/06/2007, 01:16 PM
my 9 yr old Achilles tang while doing his normal high speed laps around the tank just before feeding time got a little too excited and hit a 5+ lb rock so hard it knocked it about 3' across the tank and sent him into a bit of a dizzy spell. well needless to say he's now got one heck of a pop eye, his left eye has the clear bubble about 3x normal size, I've read in places that using MgSO4 (Epsom salt) helps, but does it help for trauma induced pop eye or just bacterial infection??

if it's recommended, what's the max dose?

his apatite isn't at all effected if anything he's eating even more (if that could actually happen). as mentioned I've had him 9 yrs so take my word water quality isn't an issue here, but I'd welcome any other suggestions to help him heal quicker, it looks horrible :(

Percula9
09/06/2007, 08:53 PM
I would remove to quarantine and treat with Furan2 or Maracyn2. You could also try the epsom salt also. I don't know the dose. You might want to go on the chemistry forum for help on the dosage.

JetCat USA
09/06/2007, 09:02 PM
both of those are for bacterial infections which this isn't, it's not cut/scratched/abraded, it's blunt force trauma. if I'm not mistaken the Epsom salt is for treating aches and pains in humans and fish............

Percula9
09/07/2007, 10:01 AM
Even if it was originally caused by the blow, it probably caused a scratch by the eye. This would lead to bacterial infection, this is why I recommended the antibiotics. Antibiotics is usually the standard treatment for this condition.

JetCat USA
09/13/2007, 03:51 PM
Though I'd give a little Update:

by day 5 the what looks like an air pocket on the eye went away but the eye was still swollen about 3x normal size and dark, not cloudy.

today is day 8 and it's completely back to normal and he's still doing the 100mph laps, i did however leave the rock where it landed rather then moving it back to it's original location :)

no medications were used. my reasoning was i wasn't going to stress the fish (and the tank) to the extent it would take to catch him out of the display. any of you who have owned an Achilles know they aren't easily caught. i kept the same daily routine and just let nature run her course.