PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Wave Driver Demo at Something Fishy

EcoTech Marine
09/06/2007, 04:08 PM
Hello,

This Sunday afternoon at 1:00PM at Something Fishy in Northampton, PA (www.toofishy.com) we will be demonstrating the new wireless driver.

We are looking forward to meeting all the local reefers!

-Tim

mbunaman
09/06/2007, 11:17 PM
Give us a video clip for the non PA dwellers :)

CJ
09/08/2007, 08:23 AM
Tim:

Sorry, I won't be able to make it. I couldn't get on RC in time to see your message and change my plans from Saturday to Sunday. It didn't help that I couldn't open Todd's email. My firewall indicated a security problem. You might want to mention that to him. This has been going on for a couple weeks now. I just delete his messages as soon as I see them.

Hope you have a good turn out.

NCPARS is having a swap in York on October 6. Have you thought about perhaps giving a demo there?

The idea of a video clip isn't bad either.

todd rose
09/09/2007, 02:59 PM
How was the demo of the WWD today?

EcoTech Marine
09/10/2007, 07:25 AM
Hi Todd,

Everything went fine. We were generating a 2" wave within a 180gal tank with just a little bit of tuning. We got some good feedback from the customers on improving the flow diagram that we designed for the instruction manual and back of the driver box. Overall it was a lot of fun for the hour or so we were there.

Thanks very much goes to Todd of Something Fishy!

-Tim

Sparkss
09/10/2007, 09:40 AM
how many Vortecs to get that wave on the 180 ? What other powerheads were involved ? (IE: to assist with the wave or possibly provide counter or cross currents that the wave had to overcome). Also, what were the dimentions of the 180 ?

EcoTech Marine
09/10/2007, 11:00 AM
We brought four pumps and were running two on the left and two on the right. The two on the left were in anti-sync slave mode and the master was on the right with one sync'ing slave.

We generated a 1" wave with just one pump on the right side of the tank so it's safe to say we could have gone bigger with the four pumps, we just didn't have time to mess with them.

There was no other circulation at all on the tank, we turned everything else off.

-Tim

Sparkss
09/10/2007, 11:11 AM
Do/did you find that having the anti-sync opposing slaves helped or hindered the wave action ? I had thought that the trick to a good wave was to tune the action to the tank so that the returning wave didn't "crash" with the oncoming new one. To truly do this with opposing pumps wouldn't the anti-sync slaves need to be offset a certain # of seconds to match the tank's wave frequency ?

Was it a 5' or 6' 180g tank ? (standard 2" width ?) How far from the waterline were the pumps ? Was there any rockwork or corals in the tank ? How far off the top of the rocks/coral were the Vortecs placed ?

Hehehe.. ok, so a landslide of questions :) Thanks in advance for the favor of your responses :)

Fliger
09/10/2007, 02:31 PM
That is awesome! I love the idea of a wave - I've noticed other wave making devices really keep things suspended. Can't wait to see how this works!

KEstep
09/10/2007, 05:56 PM
Me too, I am dying to try these on my tank. I am even considering a 3rd pump. God my credit card is going to hate me! Wish I could order these things wholesale through my company but even my wholesalers have these marked at the retail price. That bites.

triggerfish1976
09/11/2007, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10735457#post10735457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EcoTech Marine

There was no other circulation at all on the tank, we turned everything else off.

-Tim

Don't you think that this created a misleading result then since wavemakers in aquariums rely on water movement frequencies that do better when they are allowed to flow freely? Adding any additional water motion to the tank via a standard return pump will impede the frequency and given that it is only 1" without the additional flow I am curious to know what it will when other pumps are running as well.

Sparkss
09/11/2007, 11:38 AM
I had the same thoughts, expressed in my post above. I really would like to see a real-world demo of these drivers :) and in action for more than a couple of hours.

thrlride
09/13/2007, 07:14 PM
What's the status on the 1st round of wireless drivers being approved and shipped?

raynist
09/13/2007, 10:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10761705#post10761705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thrlride
What's the status on the 1st round of wireless drivers being approved and shipped?

They are at MACNA this weekend, I would not expect to hear anything either way until they get back next week.

Sparkss
09/13/2007, 11:41 PM
My thoughts exactly raynist :). Hopefully into the middle of next week when everyone decompresses from MACNA we will have some updates :)

thrlride
09/14/2007, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10763238#post10763238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raynist
They are at MACNA this weekend, I would not expect to hear anything either way until they get back next week.

Good point, I forgot that was this weekend.

hopefully it is good news.

steelers2005
09/14/2007, 07:37 PM
I was speaking with the Ecotech group today at MACNA, and they said it's very close to being released. You will certainly like it...the demo was nice. The wave they created in the tank was something to see. They were great to speak with and allow anyone to play around with the settings etc. Had a set of directions there that you could use. I'm sure they will be posting next week.

todd rose
09/14/2007, 07:53 PM
Anybody have video of the display drivers in operation?

mrcrab
09/15/2007, 11:02 PM
check it out:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10775430#post10775430