PDA

View Full Version : diatom filter

genzod66
09/06/2007, 09:15 PM
are they worth it?

mnestroy
09/06/2007, 09:37 PM
I dont think so, the vortex models are a huge hassle to use... they are a lot of work.

On the positive side they will clean your water and remove the tiniest partical.

Sk8r
09/06/2007, 09:44 PM
They're not for regular use: they'd make the water too clean and cost a fortune in filter medium. But having access to one [say, for a club] would be really good: if somebody's nephew has fed the tank Cheerios, or if some how your sandbed's gotten overturned and loosed rot into your water column, they will save your life. Remember it as something to beg or borrow if something disasterous happens.

wooden_reefer
09/06/2007, 10:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10713560#post10713560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
They're not for regular use: they'd make the water too clean and cost a fortune in filter medium. But having access to one [say, for a club] would be really good: if somebody's nephew has fed the tank Cheerios, or if some how your sandbed's gotten overturned and loosed rot into your water column, they will save your life. Remember it as something to beg or borrow if something disasterous happens.

I agree, a club should have one to share.

Diatom Filter is the one equipment that is effective in removing waterborne ich. It duplicates the dilution effect of the ocean, but does not eradicate ich. This gives the aquarist time to plan for a permanent solution.

I have one for over twenty years.

I use it for ich control in QT for fish that is difficult to acclimate, like the CBB. Acclimate before eradicate of ich.

When a coat of powder activated carbon is installed, it is an excellent chemical filter.

mnestroy
09/07/2007, 07:10 AM
The filter media can be gotten very cheaply from a pool supply store.

GL
09/07/2007, 08:19 AM
I have one and use it every so often.

They are not hard at all to use and the media is not expensive if you use it every now and then.

Once used it will look like your fish are floating in air. ;)

mnestroy
09/07/2007, 08:31 AM
It may not be hard, but it is definitely a hassle, you need to charge the unit, which takes some time... have you ever used the powdered carbon they sell? it stains any container black.

The unit works incredibly well, just saying it does take some effort.

cdentii1
09/07/2007, 10:11 AM
I had a "System One" Very easy to use, Compact and more Powerful than a vortex, it is more of a HOB type filter instead of a Canister style. and used it for years when it was FO (then my old roommate left it plugged in on his tank overnight and burnt up the motor) They are handy and not to expensive to operate. I used to do a 25% Water change clean the glass run the filter for an hour or so and the fish look like they were swimming in air. Although I remember reading that they can remove the food source for filter feeders and are not recommended for reef aquariums due to that. On the other hand if you do have a nephew whom likes to feed your tank cheerios I am more than sure it would be handy.

cdentii1
09/07/2007, 10:14 AM
BTW the System One filter is belt driven and more of a pressure type. Here is a link to one.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/pressurefilter.html

wooden_reefer
09/07/2007, 10:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10715088#post10715088 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mnestroy
The filter media can be gotten very cheaply from a pool supply store.

I am not certain that the pool type filter can be used, but may be it can be may be not.

I think the diatom grade for pool is coarser. DO NOT save money and buy pool grade diatom before investigation. It may even have added chlorine.

Captain Bucket
09/07/2007, 04:08 PM
I bought a vortex a couple months ago to use primarily for ich and parasite control, in that I am running my changeout water which I get from the ocean through it first before adding to my system. Though the results were good for water polishing, the shaft seal leaked after a couple of weeks, and I found the set up rather fussy and inelegant. Mailed it back to the retailer last week to exchange for a Magnum 350, which I recall from my freshwater days can be run with DE (diatamaceous earth) powder. As I remember the settup was much less fussy for the Magnum.

Now I am intrigued by the System 1 filter, I have never heard of it before. Maybe I'll try one of those.

tktodd
09/07/2007, 04:08 PM
I have a Vortex and it saved me a couple times. I forget what caused this terrible algae bloom, but it cleared up in a day. I had to change the diatom powder several times though.

BEFORE
http://www.reeframpage.com/diatom.JPG

AFTER
http://www.reeframpage.com/diatom1.JPG

cdentii1
09/08/2007, 07:50 AM
The Magnum 350 is magnetic drive and especially when used with DE they have a tendency to slip (if it is to be used strictly as a DE filter I would return it as well and get the System 1 IMO). The System One Has a industrial Motor, belt driven, Super easy clean up unless you run it with the o-ring dry then the jar can be difficult to remove as it sticks due to the pressure created.

Sk8r
09/08/2007, 08:02 AM
Yes, that o-ring is a bear if stuck: a strap wrench is about all that will work on it.

WaterKeeper
09/08/2007, 08:53 AM
In many case just a micron filter cartridge will be almost as good as using DE and they can be cleaned and reused.

WaterKeeper
09/08/2007, 08:55 AM
Man Todd

That HTH pool shock really works! :D

cdentii1
09/08/2007, 09:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10722597#post10722597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
Man Todd

That HTH pool shock really works! :D

It sure does I get mine at wally world however it is seasonal so I stock up in the spring :smokin:

gary faulkner
09/08/2007, 09:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10722579#post10722579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
In many case just a micron filter cartridge will be almost as good as using DE and they can be cleaned and reused.

So a 350 Hot Magnum or something else?

TIA

GL
09/08/2007, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10722579#post10722579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper

What do use to clean the micron filters?

I tried and could never get them to where the would not clog up fast second time around.

cdentii1
09/08/2007, 12:04 PM
I use a diluted bleach solution 5:1 ratio rinse very very well and dry overnight.

gary faulkner
09/08/2007, 02:32 PM
What kind of filters are you guys talking about?

GL
09/08/2007, 02:35 PM
Depends which part the the thread.

Diatom filters and Canister filters with polishing cartridges in them.

gary faulkner
09/08/2007, 02:37 PM
Canisters with polishing cart.
Which brands do you prefer?

GL
09/08/2007, 02:44 PM
The only one I ever used was the Magnum.

But I have the Vortex Diatom which I prefer to use over the magnum.

But the Magnum works very well.

gary faulkner
09/08/2007, 02:46 PM
I wanted to get something for use for QT on fish.

Which would you prefer for this application?

TIA

Captain Bucket
09/08/2007, 08:24 PM
If I do get the Magnum, does anyone know how much DE powder you're supposed to use for one charge?