PDA

View Full Version : catch a fish

tunaluver
09/06/2007, 10:14 PM
so i can not catch my lemon peel at all.. tried for 2 hours and just hides in the rock and if i get him out with a net one side he still gets around me.. i was mad at him before for nipping at corals now i really hate him. i kno some of you probably will tell me angels are bad in a reef. well this one is for sure. i never had a problem with an angel before and i wont get one again because i want to start with sps here soon

Absint Reefer
09/06/2007, 10:21 PM
a couple ways to catch a problem fish is to get a fish trap or just make one out of some acrylic. You could also try feeding only when the net is in the water then stop feeding for a few days then put the food in the net.

Carlos
09/07/2007, 10:13 AM
Put the trap inside the tank and leave it there for a day (fish get used to it and start to ignore it).

Then add some food inside the trap and sit back... will take no more than 15 minutes for the fish to start going in there.

If the wrong fish goes in the trap, do not close it. Otherwise you will scare them off and they will not go in the trap for a day or so until they forget about it and get used to the trap again.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14700&Ntt=trap&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Carlos

kevinohio
09/07/2007, 10:22 AM
you can also DIY a trap depending if it is a large or small fish.
For smaller fish i have used a 1 liter pop bottle, the ones with the wide mouth.
Cut the top off right were ther bottle widens, i am not describing it well i know. But right were the bottle is widest near the top you can cut along that ridge.
Take the ring off y the mouth of the bottle as well.
Invert this into the bottom part of the bottle. place some food in ans sink it.
They cabn swim in but not swim out.

Carlos
09/07/2007, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10716295#post10716295 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevinohio
you can also DIY a trap depending if it is a large or small fish.
For smaller fish i have used a 1 liter pop bottle, the ones with the wide mouth.
Cut the top off right were ther bottle widens, i am not describing it well i know. But right were the bottle is widest near the top you can cut along that ridge.
Take the ring off y the mouth of the bottle as well.
Invert this into the bottom part of the bottle. place some food in ans sink it.
They cabn swim in but not swim out.

Got a pic of it?

kevinohio
09/07/2007, 12:06 PM
yes here ya go

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x219/ohiokevin/?action=view&current=trap2.jpg

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x219/ohiokevin/?action=view&current=trap.jpg

hope it helps.
Dont always get the right fish the first time, but i have had luck with it.

tunaluver
09/07/2007, 01:05 PM
problem is he is not a big eater so when i add food to anything he could really care less. he eats some but doesnt go wild like my tang does. he likes to nip at rocks all day and corals. ill try making a trap tho and see how that works

kevinohio
09/07/2007, 01:25 PM
do it before you do the daily feeding, the tang wont be ablr to get in there, its too small.
What other typs of fish do you have in there?

tunaluver
09/07/2007, 02:36 PM
scooter blenny and a maroon clown. the angel is almost same size as tang
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/sledhed8/100_1138.jpg

kevinohio
09/07/2007, 03:17 PM
may have to play catch and release if you get the wrong one, try aa food the angel relly likes.

tunaluver
09/07/2007, 03:21 PM
so far i have not found anything he really likes.. he will eat the dried seaweed i clip in the aquarium.. will nibble on brine shrimp and mysis but seems like he could really care less. ill just keep trying i get him eventually i hope haha

tunaluver
09/07/2007, 03:54 PM
success!!!! thanks for the help guys.. the bottle worked. my tang was mad at me i think tho because he could not get at the food haha

kevinohio
09/07/2007, 04:36 PM
glad to hear it. lov those trps, and a good price :)