PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Water Filtration Needed

YankeeJeff
09/07/2007, 02:16 PM
Currently I use this tap water filter (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4484&Ntt=tap%20water%20filter&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1) . However, it's been said in other threads that the life (per cartridge) is actually not that high (maybe 36 gallons) depending on your tap water.

This ad for a "Pure Water Essentials" (http://www.purewateressentials.com/us-0030-012.html) water filter has some claims that I don't think I properly understand. Are they saying that the filter lasts 10,000 gallons? With a flow rate of 0.75 to 1 gallon per minute - what am I missing here? I'm sure I can't use this for my reef tank.

Thanks

snulma1
09/07/2007, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't use that for your reef tank. It is saying that you would have a flow rate of .75 to 1 gallon a minute, but thats with decent line pressure. But I don't think its going to be as effective as a true RO/DI filter. If money is tight, that may due for now, but I would spend the extra few dollars and do it right the 1st time!

bertoni
09/07/2007, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't use it, either, due to the copper and zinc contamination. The levels mentioned are fine for humans, not for reef tanks. I got a good RO-DI setup, in the end.

kevinohio
09/07/2007, 03:27 PM
better off getting a true ro/di. look at some onf the vednors/sponser of this site they have good ones for lots of different price levels

papagimp
09/07/2007, 03:36 PM
That filter unit is sold at petsmart and I used them extensively when I kept a planted Discus tank. So, I can say with 100% certainty that even though it may be possible to get 36g out of it, not very likely. Mine would fill up about 10g worth of water and the cartridge was junk afterwards. It did a decent job of creating a nice soft water envirmoent with low PH for my discus but for trying to make filtered water for a reef tank, it's not the best option by far. Definatly get an actual ro/di unit not a house filter unit or similar. And definatly not that cheapo filter in the first link.

AZDesertRat
09/07/2007, 04:18 PM
The Tap Water filter is a waste as I seriously doubt you will ever get over 20 gallons out of a cartridge and even then it will never be 0 TDS like a good RO/DI produces. Replacement cartridges will also eat your lunch or at least your lunch money.
The Pure Water filter probably makes good tasting drinking water but again it is no comparison to an RO/DI unit. It is no different than a prefilter and carbon block. It does little to lower TDS.
I have also searched their site and cannot find any info on ANSI/NSF testing and certifications to back up their claims?
I think I would pass myself as it is just a glorified Pur or Britta filter.