PDA

View Full Version : Question about PVC Pipe

Thinslis
09/07/2007, 02:58 PM
Ok I have the Pipe cleaning solution and the purple PVC cement, do I just cut the piece sand the burrs off the edges, clean, cement, connect and quarter turn? Am I missing anything? What do I do if one of the connections leak once its connected? How do I test with out filling the whole tank up?

Thanks,

michaeljames
09/07/2007, 03:01 PM
if you follow all those steps you listed above, you won't have any issues. if for some reason you do, you'll need to cut the bad section out and replace

JetCat USA
09/07/2007, 03:02 PM
cut/clean/prime/glue/insert, twisting is not necessary and a properly glued connection will not leak, you can get test plugs and pressurize the plumbing with compressed air to test for leaks if you don't want to use water.

coast2coast7390
09/07/2007, 03:24 PM
just make sure that you let it cure before you run water through it...

an411
09/07/2007, 03:27 PM
Don't think that there is anyway to test without filling up the tank just use hose water if you can dont waste water and time using the RO/DI if you are using one. Also make sure that you use teflon tape on threaded pieces if there are any I learned this the hardway. Also this is probably not recommended and probably won't happen but if you add glue to the fitting where it is leaking it might stop the leak. But I never had anything leak besides the threaded fittings without the teflon HTH

ripper139
09/07/2007, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know where you can get grey or black PVC

Mavrk
09/07/2007, 03:51 PM
hold the connection for about 30 seconds so that it doesn't creep out (i.e. push itself out a bit).

AZDesertRat
09/07/2007, 04:04 PM
A little twist is really necessary to get the glue evenly distributed around the base of the socket and on the outside where the two pieces meet. Not twisting is what causes lots of leaks. I have installed enough of it in water systems to say that from experience.
Another thing is you want to use plenty of unions or union valves so things can be disassembled for cleaning or repair. It sucks when your pump or leaking joint is the furthest thing away from a union and you have to cut everything apart to get to it. I also know that one from experience!
Gray PVC is Sch. 80 and should be available at any sprinkler or irrigation supply store. Black PVC is available from www.savko.com or www.customaquatic.com .

Thinslis
09/07/2007, 07:29 PM
Thank you for your comments. Yea I have some unions and some ball valves. When I leak tested my tank I cut four sections of pipe and cleaned / primed / glued some caps on the ends but did NOT twist any of the fittings, one of the caps had a pretty bad leak. The point of the exercise was to make sure the bulkheads were not leaking so the test was a success anyways but I wanted to verify that adding the twist was probably key.