PDA

View Full Version : sick niger trigger

Kliner77
09/07/2007, 05:39 PM
I've had a niger trigger for 6 years. Now he's not eating and mostly layes on the bottom. I haven't seen him eat in several day's. I've tested the water and all is well. He has very large upper teeth. Could his teeth be the problem and if so what are my options or do niger triggers only live 6 years? Please help! I don't think he'll last much longer.

Andrew
09/07/2007, 06:58 PM
[welcome]

Please post your water levels. Have you changed anythig in your tank in the past week? Are any of your other fish acting this way? Have you added any new fish to the tank recently?

mhurley
09/07/2007, 07:05 PM
[moved]

redox
09/08/2007, 09:47 AM
they can live alot longer than that. They are a very hardy trigger and it unusual for one to just die or get sick. Andrew has some good ?s . I would try to put some food in his face, something like clams should get his attention. If he turns his nose up to it then you have issues. Quarantine and medication, but you must first try to find out what you are medicating for. Are there other fish in with him?

Kliner77
09/08/2007, 06:10 PM
These are the levels as of Sat. morning. Ph 8.2, Ammonia 0.0 , nitrite .10, nitrate 60-70 milligrams/liter, Water Temp 78 F and the salinity is 1.025. Tank size 90 gallons

I haven't added any new fish in a couple years. There is a niger trigger, huma huma trigger, snowflake eel and tomato clown.

The only thing I've recently done is reposition the rocks.

redox
09/08/2007, 06:49 PM
the huma might be terrorizeing him/herand or you might have smashed the niger if it was in the tank when you repositioned the rocks.

Kliner77
09/09/2007, 12:45 PM
He may have got smashed when I repositioned the rocks. He's not laying on the bottom as much today but I noticed he's not moving his tail when he swims. Do you have any ideas about how to nurse him back to health?

redox
09/09/2007, 02:51 PM
tlc is about all you can do for him now .Make sure he is eating .If you have to you can hand feed if he wont swim out and eat.Also make sure the huma isnt messing with him.If he is you might want to break them up.Id move the huma out as not to stress the niger any more.I did the same thing to a very large 5" domino damsel. He died that night:( Accidents happen thats why a stable rock mound is important and get it like you like it and leave it:) Here a pic of my niger that jumped out and perished.Thats why I dont name my fish anymore:D http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/ghgrown/niger.jpg

wooden_reefer
09/09/2007, 02:58 PM
Long ago a hepatus tang of mine hit itself against rock. It laid down on its side for three long days before finally recovering.

It was strange that the other fish did not bother it for the duration.

loosecannon
09/09/2007, 10:08 PM
Kliner77, Thay like to be called triggers of color now.

AaronKelly
09/09/2007, 10:22 PM
can we get a pic of your trigger? if the teeth are large try and get some snails or something that it can bite on. thats how they keep their teeth small, they eat snails and bite the shells... i dont really know if the teeth being to large would be a problem

LukFox
09/10/2007, 12:43 AM
Why is no one saying anything about the .1 nitrite and high nitrate? By moving around your rocks, if you haven't done so in a long while, you may have stirred up some stuff that caused an ammonia spike. This would be enough to do this to the fish. Right now you need to be doing water changes to bring the nitrite to 0 and the nitrates to 20 or less.