PDA

View Full Version : Help me out to pick a cleanup crew

Maxi
09/07/2007, 07:51 PM
I'm going to buy the light for my new nano soon (the 26g bowfront) and I want to be another step ahead, so what cleanup crew do you reccomend?

I was thinking of two different kinds of large cleaner shrimp...
1 peppermint
1 skunk cleaner(will they work being together?)
about a dozen hermit crabs
dozen snails
Maybe I'll buy another pair of goby and pistol shrimp to keep the sand nice and clean.
I also like the red marble sea star, but I think it needs a really mature tank..
If I am missing something, or will need more of something (ie: more snails, more hermits, ect.) tell me :D

Couple more questions aside from the cleaning crew....
How do I frag a xenia inside of the tank?
What live rock do I use? Cure, or uncure?

Thank you!
-Maxi
:bum:

Maxi
09/07/2007, 07:53 PM
I put this in the wrong section.. sorry
If someone can transfer it to the "new to the hobby" part of the forums, please.
Thanks

Tayler
09/07/2007, 09:58 PM
the pep and skunk would be fine together but i would skip the pep if you were getting coral since they are very often mixed up with camel shrimp (coral nippers).also make sure you have lots of empty shells for the hermits or they will hunt the snails. if your tank is already established then get cured but if your just starting it you can get either you have less chance of getting pests on cured rock though. as for fragging xeina here is a a short video of how to do it. http://www.garf.org/MPegs/XeniaPropagation.mpg

tayler

Maxi
09/07/2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks tayler. I don't get mixed up with peppermint/camel shrimp.. I won't have to worry about that.
Thanks for the video too tayler. I know that they hunt snails ect... I have empty shells.
But what do I do with the remaining xenia frags?? Would my LFS take xenia frags?

Tayler
09/08/2007, 04:56 PM
you will probably have to talk to the people at your lfs and see if they will take them. or if you have an aquarium club see if anyone wants any.

Maxi
09/08/2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks.. they are pulsing, so I guess some peope wil take them.
They grow like crazy.. I had one xenia tree, then they split into 4.

jubjub
09/10/2007, 06:05 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=420 i thought that was quiet handy to be honest helped me pick mine.

siren
09/11/2007, 11:22 AM
those packs you can get are handy but I hate getting them because you always get something you don't want. IMO, I'd get maybe 15 hermits, 2 or 3 Mexican turbo's, about a dozen nasarius snails, like 5 astrea snails, and maybe a sand sifting star.