PDA

View Full Version : New to salt water tank...question.

jvr1102
09/08/2007, 12:45 AM
I just started setting up my first reef tank. I have an expert doing the install and have already purchased just about everything. What would be a good test kit for the water? I have 0 items for testing water so far, so a complete list of items would be great. thank you!

JeffReef
09/08/2007, 01:18 AM
Check out the Elos kits. I would get the following kits to start out with:

NO3
Ca
KH
Mg

I have used Salifert kits in the past and some of my readings were almost always high. I now prefer using Elos over Salifert.

bertoni
09/08/2007, 01:33 AM
I would add ammonia and pH to the list. A reasonable thermometer and a refractometer, to measure salinity, are also useful. I still use Salifert test kits.

cd77
09/08/2007, 01:59 AM
I use API test kits, but have heard that Salifert is the best -- and you'll pay for it -- as suggested, definitely get a refractometer. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH, Calcium, Magnesium, and pH, and a thermometer.

I would add Phosphate to the list, and you may also want a TDS meter for your RO/DI unit. Hanna instruments makes affordable digital testers for temperature, pH, TDS, ORP, and conductivity. I've found mine to be very accurate and it doesn't require constant re-calibration like many of the pinpoint monitors do.

For some things, (pH, Nitrite, Nitrate) I use test strips -- they're very convenient, and since you'll be aiming for zero nitrite/nitrate they make for a quick indicator to let you know if something is out of the norm.

You'll also find that there are test kits for Strontium, Iron, Silica, Boron, etc.. but do the research on these first -- I've read that many of the hobby kits out there are worthless for some of these...

Since you're paying to have your setup done, you may even want to go so far as to pay professionals to test your water (though I would do this in addition to all that has been suggested by others) Check out http://aquariumwatertesting.com/ which was recently discussed in another thread.

I'm sure the veterans here will correct me if I've misguided you :)

stephensturman
09/08/2007, 02:21 AM
get a api saltwater and reef kit! cheap and good and accurate reading's. get circulation!

~thanks~
stephen sturman

michaeldaly
09/08/2007, 03:23 AM
The only testing item I use regularily is the thermometer. In the 3 years that my tank has been up I have had the water tested twice by the LFS.