PDA

View Full Version : carpet anenome question

currentking
09/08/2007, 08:54 AM
I have an established 65g reef tank fully loaded. I am interested in possibly getting a carpet anenome for the bottom right side of my tank and getting rid of my frogspawn. There is about a 12"x12" space of sand and rock right behind that. does the carpet lay against the rock behind? If so, what size can fit? I could make a little more room if needed. Is it safe to put the anenome in there? will it move around? My local lfs has one about 12-14". thanks for the info

Carlos
09/08/2007, 09:44 AM
Anemones are like cats. They do whatever they want and go wherever they want to go, often exactly where you DO NOT want them to go.

Carpet anemones like the bottom. They love to dig into the sand and attached themselves to the bottom glass. So, be ready to have the anemone move around your sandbed until it finds a spot it likes. Once it does, it will stay there until you change water flow or rock work and then it will move again until it finds a new spot that it likes.

Carlos

currentking
09/08/2007, 10:41 AM
if I move the sand and let the carpet touch the bottom, will it stay there?

rkelman
09/08/2007, 10:45 AM
If you pull back the sand so it can squeeze its foot under the rock and get to the glass bottom it may stay where you put it. Don't count on it though. Make sure the flow isn't too strong over the anem. Normally people arrange the tank around the nem not the other way around.

Toddrtrex
09/08/2007, 11:01 AM
If you are going to do a carpet I would suggest a Haddoni -- they prefer the sand bed. I think you should stay away from a Gigantea they are harder to keep and they require lots of flow. Also they prefer to be on a rock.

rkelman
09/08/2007, 12:53 PM
I was assuming Haddoni.. I guess I shouldnt lol..

currentking
09/08/2007, 07:25 PM
thanks guys, I guess Ill stay away from a carpet til lI get my bigger tank and place that first