PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an acrylic tank

Delta_zeta
09/08/2007, 10:37 AM
I'm just wondering if a large tank can be cleaned safely with vinegar? I imagine so since I clean a lot of my equipment with it but I just want to double check. Basically the plan is to lay the tank on it's face and pour a thin layer of vinegar over it, let it soak and loosen up a lot of the junk inside it so that I don't have to scrape as much and risk scratching the acrylic. I just want to make sure that it won't effect the acrylic panel?

ckprax
09/08/2007, 04:03 PM
I dont know about the vinegar hurting the acrylic but I highly doubt that it would have an ill effect. i just cleaned an 80 gal I got used, i filled it with tap water put two gallons of vinegar in it and scraped it clean while it was full. Everything came off like butter and i just siphoned out all of the crud. I have read that ppl put a pump in the tank with tap water and vinegar and let it sit overnight and it wipes clean the next day. I was going to do this but I live in a small apt and had to take up the whole bathroom to fill the tank so i couldn't leave it there all night.

Delta_zeta
09/08/2007, 11:45 PM
well i imagine that if water/vinegar doesn't hurt it then straight vinegar probably won't do much damage...this thing is REALLY caked in crud...I swear the last owner NEVER cleaned it...wonder how he ever enjoyed his fish and corals