PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on tall custom tank

cvilla44
09/08/2007, 01:22 PM
Ok as you guys can see this is my first post here but I've been a visitor for sometime now... I’m interested in building a custom tank for myself… After seeing alot of custom tank and DIYers it has kind of inspired me to get back into this hobby... I previously had a 75g reef aquarium and also worked a LFS… I'm thinking of building a custom tank for a perfect location in my room and it wont be taking up so much space in my room... here is what I’m thinking tank L=34 x D=22 x H=42 I guess that = 136 gallons which I envision it will look super cool... the stand's H= appx 32 and the canopy H will be based on RC opinion based on how high the lighting should be placed... here are a few questions... the stand I have already printed the thread of the layout on how to cut each piece... 1st question what thickness does the glass have to be and can someone help me *** to the layout when putting all the sheets of glass together to make the tank like do the walls sit on to of the bottom piece or does it go around the bottom piece... all members opinion will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Chris

ckprax
09/08/2007, 03:17 PM
that's a really tall tank. It should look sweet but I wouldn't want to light it.

asm481
09/08/2007, 04:47 PM
42 inches tall!!! I wouldn't want to light it, scape it, or clean it. Other then that it would look kool.

michaeljames
09/08/2007, 04:58 PM
too bad you can't light from the bottom as well...

cvilla44
09/08/2007, 05:13 PM
What kind of lighting would I need good (low) on price but without sacrificing quality and at what height from the water level should they be placed… I will be mainly stocking the tank with Zoa’s and some SPS and anything else that looks cool…

michaeljames
09/08/2007, 05:17 PM
Keep all your SPS at the top!

wooden_reefer
09/08/2007, 06:49 PM
I think a neat why to aquascape such a tank is to have clear strata. Strong horizontal segments.

The top where the MH can penetrate will be reef, the bottom will be others.

the GARF.org site recommend tanks only to 36" H. I think you need glass thickner than 1/2".

cvilla44
09/08/2007, 07:24 PM
has anyone here built a tank over 36" in H something in the area of what im thinking

wooden_reefer
09/08/2007, 07:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10725836#post10725836 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cvilla44
has anyone here built a tank over 36" in H something in the area of what im thinking

Both sites given to me stop at 36" H 1/2 inch glass.

I am pretty certain the 3/4 glass will work for you to 42"H since your tank will be so short, I just don't know if it is necessary

cvilla44
09/08/2007, 09:39 PM
i don't think it neccessary but everyone always wants to build it a little bigger i'm maxed out in Lenth and i don't think i should make it any deeper so i thought why not make it taller... once i make a template i will have more of an idea...

BeanAnimal
09/08/2007, 11:00 PM
You better have a snorkle and mask to perform maintenance :)

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/technical/glassthickness/

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/l/blcustomtank.htm

ThaNgBOm321
09/08/2007, 11:27 PM
i Love the look of tall tanks but usually those tanks are decent size tanks... i personally think your tank is way too tall for it's L x D... ( again i do think it is really cool) that height make maintence really impractical... it's going to be really hard to do anything in the tank... with the tank only being 22' deep.. then lets say you make a rock wall.. so not you lose like 8''... now you only have 14'' to place coral and then whatever is left is what you have to reach into your tank... remember... your shoulder will be in the tank to reach the bottom... and possibly you face... aquascaping will be fun i tell you that....

YzGyz

wooden_reefer
09/09/2007, 01:26 AM
How are you going to service this tank?

I think you must allow top room for you to go into the tank, with bathing suit hopefully. I think 34" front-back depth is enough for an average-sized man to bend over to touch the bottom.

Or one uses various extensions of the hand.

onetrickpony
09/09/2007, 07:36 AM
Check this thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1145958

redox
09/09/2007, 08:21 AM
I had a 36" tall tank and what a pain it was to work on.I would stand on a stool and do some crazy reach to try to get something off the bottom. I couldnt even give that tank away. But to each his own :D

TIMMYE
09/09/2007, 01:31 PM
I also would not go with this tank as a reef tank. A fish only would be cool. But I think you have a lot more maint. with reef tanks. With that in mind, you had asked about lighting, I would look at a single 1000W MH tied in with some T-5 VHO for more supplement lighting. If you could drop the hight to 36" and extened the width and lenght I think it will be better off as a reef tank, and will hold more resale value if your ever sell it.

redox
09/09/2007, 03:09 PM
oh I for got to mention it was 3/4 glass and reguired 6 people to lift it and thats stuggling the hole way. A tall tank is gonna have some serious fluid pressure against the glass . wow I would dang sure get an engineer or a glass pro for advice on thickness. Glass anit cheap and you wouldnt want the saftey hazzard that would come along with underdesigned glass. just my .02 good luck with your design:)found an old pic from 04 of the 36"x72x35http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/ghgrown/reefJULY2004001.jpg