PDA

View Full Version : New fish and need ID (pic included)

Reefer_Jester
09/08/2007, 08:04 PM
I just dot a new fish to day and i know its a dotty back of some kind but just dont know what kind...
any help would be good thanks
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/Jesters/IMG_0487.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/Jesters/IMG_0486.jpg

JokerGirl
09/09/2007, 06:50 AM
It looks like a dottyback, not sure what species exactly though.

Landolakes
09/09/2007, 07:26 AM
With the green eyes I would say labracinus cyclophthalmus, very large adult6-7" and very aggressive. Will kill smaller fish and larger fish and most inverts (from first hand experience). I was only successfully able to keep it with my morrays. I have kept every dottyback I can afford and this guy was the worst by far, took out a whole tank of domino damsels.

Reefer_Jester
09/09/2007, 10:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10727973#post10727973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Landolakes
With the green eyes I would say labracinus cyclophthalmus, very large adult6-7" and very aggressive. Will kill smaller fish and larger fish and most inverts (from first hand experience). I was only successfully able to keep it with my morrays. I have kept every dottyback I can afford and this guy was the worst by far, took out a whole tank of domino damsels.
Will i dont know but i dont think thats it i could be wrong but from what i look at it dont seem to look like it...
thank you

Reefer_Jester
09/09/2007, 01:05 PM
It's a female Pesudochromis coccinicauda.

Not a very common fish, but occasionally seen in shipments from Java. I can very well believe that it came in with live rock!

Males are a beautiful little fish - yellow body, black anal, caudal, and dorsal fins with green banding. Females are exactly as the pictured - a brown fish with a red caudal fin and some red on the trailing end of the dorsal.

Your fish could almost be a female P. cyanotaenia, but the red on the dorsal fin gives it away - P. cyanotaenia does not develop any red outside of the caudal fin.

They're a small dottyback, maximum size is about two and a half inches. Very, very reclusive - they need an extremely passive tank to feel secure enough to be active, but males get quite aggressive towards most of our commonly kept passive fish - firefish, dartfish, gobies, blennies and the like. Diet should be varied, with high-protein meaty foods making up the majority of the foods offered.

Probably best kept in a nano-style aquarium on their own.

thor32766
09/09/2007, 07:24 PM
wow hes a cool fish