PDA

View Full Version : Saddleback swimming issues?

stiltman
09/09/2007, 06:08 PM
I bought a small black saddleback clownfish (approximately 1.25"from a LFS two days ago. He is eating and seems to be adjusting well, except....

That when he swims he bounces up and down about 1/2" to 1". It is almost as if he is waiving his tail up and down because his back end moves much more than his head. When he swims after his food he goes in a straight line with no bouncing.

Does he have an air bladder issue or is this normal for a small saddleback?

Sheol
09/09/2007, 07:13 PM
Unless I'm misled by your description, this is a normal, if somewhat confusing swimming behavior in most clowns. But I admit I could be wrong, so have you previously owned any other clown species?

Matthew

stiltman
09/09/2007, 07:36 PM
No, this is in fact my first saltwater fish. I have watched clownfish at LFS though, just not saddlebacks. This was also the only saddleback left at the store I purchased him from. Thought I may have gotten some bad livestock.

The more I observe this guy, the less worried I am about his swimming. It appears that he is doing this on purpose.

Whenever he hides in the live rock he stops or does this less. He is also becoming less shy and swimming in the open spaces in the tank now.

I just wanted to see if anyone out there has experienced this and if it was a problem.

Thanks.

kenettson1
09/09/2007, 09:08 PM
I've kept a pair of black saddles for a few years now. They do tend to have more of a bounce to their swimming.

Sheol
09/10/2007, 06:09 PM
Actually, after I left last night, I wondered if he was displaying at his reflection..
Glad to hear he is settling in.

Matthew

stiltman
09/10/2007, 08:37 PM
I def saw him display at his reflection after his meal yesterday. The style of swimming I am refering to is not that. He appears happy and healthy. Perhaps since he is so small he is using that technique to avoid confrontation with predators?

He appears a bit shy. I will be keeping a close eye on him. Although the wife really wants an ocellaris, so he may be going back to the LFS.

Thanks for the input.

I have been feeding flake food and frozen brine. What type of food has worked for you with saddlebacks?

Sheol
09/11/2007, 12:53 PM
My female A. ocellaris is a real pain! Stay with the Saddleback! LOL.

Matthew

AquaReeferMan
09/11/2007, 12:58 PM
That is a common thing with pretty much all clownfish. That is how they swim in an anemone. Mine do it all the time, as well as the other types of clowns Ive owned. Boy 1.25" thats small. My female is almost 5".

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/aquareeferman/clowns4-1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/aquareeferman/flameandclowns.jpg

AquaReeferMan
09/11/2007, 01:00 PM
Mine eat a variety of foods. Prime Reef flakes, PE Mysis, Live Brine, Formula 1, and Nori. I would add some frozen mysis in with the other foods you have and rotate them. Brine really doesnt do much. Its like eating popcorn.

SquidHC
09/11/2007, 05:33 PM
My black saddlebacks bounce like crazy while they swim. One of the reasons I like em so much.

stiltman
09/11/2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks all,

Matthew, why is your ocellaris a pain?

stiltman
09/11/2007, 08:17 PM
BTW reeferman, love the pics

bigloggerhead
09/12/2007, 06:02 PM
Had one of these guys before. Perfectly normal for a saddleback to buck up and down. No worries.