PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Justin James
09/09/2007, 08:57 PM
I think I have Dinoflagellates in my reef tank.

I've had cyano before but this is different. This is a mat of brown/golden slim with air bubbles all threw it. It is on my substrate and now on my rock. I noticed some of it chocking off some of my corals and now i'm worried. My urchin looks sick too. This stuff is lethal from what i've read. I've done many tests on my system over the past 2 days and here are my honest readings.

Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 0
Phosphates = 0
PH = 8.3
TDS reading on RO water = 3
Calcium = 430 ppm

I am quite sure this isn't cyano. I have never had an algae problem of any kind in my reef yet either. The only problems i've had so far were a cyano outbrake before I got my RO unit and now this.

What can I do to get rid of this if it is Dinoflagellates? Reading materials say not to syphon it? I have to be carefull not to harm any livestock too in the process of fighting this stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Justin James
09/09/2007, 09:01 PM
Oh and here are a few specs on my tank:

Size = 150 gallon (6 feet long, 2 feet wide, 20 inches tall)
Sump = 75 gallon with refugium full of macro.
Skimmer = Euro Reef RS 250
Livestock = Scopas tang, flame angel, 3 PJ cardinals, 3 Chromis, 1 purple firefish, a few shrimp, and a derasa clam.
Coral = SPS dominated, a couple LPS, and a couple softies such as clove polyps and zoos.
Feeding = once per day lightly with frozen food, flake, and algae sheets but not all at the same time I switch it up day to day.
Lighting = Two 250 watt 13,000K mega chrome bulbs in Luminarc 3 reflectors run by 2 electronic ballasts.
Photo period = 10 hours a day.

Oh and my tank temp is 77 degrees.

Justin James
09/10/2007, 03:12 PM
So nobody can help me?

zach0660
09/10/2007, 03:15 PM
I don't know what to tell you, If I was you I would probally try to siphon out as much as I can and go on from there. Good Luck!

TitansFan
09/10/2007, 03:39 PM
The only thing I found to help stop them was light. I left my tank in complete darkness for 36 hours. I did a large water change and repeated in a couple more days when i saw them coming back.

Have you found any dead snails?

I tried it all.. no water changes.. added phosphate reactors.. changed water.. changed bulbs.. increased flow..
Cutting out the light seemed the only thing that made a dent.

TitansFan
09/10/2007, 03:46 PM
Here is a long thread on them:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=956133&highlight=Dinoflagellates

Justin James
09/10/2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks. That was a good read. Looks like I do have dinos. :(
I am scared to do a lights out because some of my corals are almost dead now and a lights out may put them over the edge. Well I guess I could risk loosing it all so here we go with a 3 day lights out. I'm going to cover the tank with garbage bags to block all light.

seastar12
09/10/2007, 06:48 PM
I hate cyano

Justin James
09/10/2007, 06:54 PM
I wish I had cyano. This is much worse than cyano but is often confused with it.