PDA

View Full Version : Are there any mods for a seaclown 100?

aquarius77
09/09/2007, 09:52 PM
As the title says, i am looking for mods for my seaclone100. This is skimming about 70 gallons of water and im not pleased. I bought it used for 20 bucks and have been running it about six months, the whole time waiting for it to break in or whatever...

It has a mj 1200 for its feed pump.
Can i mesh a mj? If so how exactly does a fella mesh mod a pump.

I know the skimmer sucks but for now its all i got and i belive it may be part of the reason some of my corals arent doing so well.

All advice is appreciated. I know i need a better skimmer but things have gotten tight lately and this is what im working with. Once i get up enough cash i guess im going to have to give in and buy something of quality and i would most likely then run the clown on my softie system wich is about 35 gallons of water. Right now it has an odyssea ps70 on it and it dont skim much of nothin at all to be honest. The pump is fallin apart and it just aint no good.

happyface888
09/09/2007, 11:20 PM
Kevin
Heres a mod for a mj but on a different skimmer.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

lizardarm
09/10/2007, 09:24 AM
I recall a few years back there being a bit of buzz about people cutting the riser tube (the 1" diameter tube on the inside) down a couple of inches; the idea being that it was too tall and reducing the amount of contact time that the bubbles had with the water. seems to make sense i guess. But I don't know how the results were. try doing a search for 'seaclone mod'

papagimp
09/10/2007, 10:50 AM
I cut the riser tube in my SC100, still never worked right. The SC150 I was able to get to work fine without any mods, but nothing from that 100 model. Of course when i cut the riser out, i did break it off and had to glue it back down...poorly...my hands are fat. Did a bioball mod once to the SC150 and took it back off since the results were worse. Just a stock 150 and i could get a full cup ever other day. black as skimmate comes too. I actually had better results from the SC150 than i get from my corallife superneedle wheel 65.

buddy381
09/10/2007, 11:45 AM
i have also heard that people drill a hole in the cap of the collection cup. They then shove an airline tube with a wooden airstone attached. Don't use the hole already there. Put that stone to the bottom of that riser tube in the middle. I have not done this, but i was considering doing it.

I get some tea like skimmate from mine. using it as it was bought used. Nothing dark and nasty though. I have to empty the collection cup every few days. I think this mod may help because it appears that the rising part of the collection cup gets pretty nasty, but it doesn't make it into the cup.

I have also heard that people take a dremel and cut down some of the rising tube in the collection cup. This allows more skimmate to enter the collection tube as people say that it is too long for the skimmate to travel to get to the cup.