PDA

View Full Version : Coral safe hermits/snails?

75Gallons
09/09/2007, 10:58 PM
Double checking before I buy my cleanup crew. Which are hermits and snails are safe to keep with corals?

loosecannon
09/10/2007, 12:07 PM
Turbo spp., Astraea spp., Lithopoma spp., Collonista spp., Trochus spp., Tectus spp., Nerita spp., Cerithium spp. . Crabs, Mithrax sculptus. , Petrolisthes spp. , Clibanarius tricolor, Paguristes cadenati, Paguristes digueti.

kuoka
09/10/2007, 12:16 PM
I have blue legged hermits and astra and turbo snails.

Gdevine
09/10/2007, 12:50 PM
Blue legged hermits can be problematic...the Red legged (scarlet I believe) are very reef friendly and community residents.

rickytikki
09/10/2007, 01:50 PM
Just to clarify, there is a difference between red-leg and scarlet hermits: red-legs are NOT 100% reef safe, scarlets typically are. Watch out for turbos with your corals, the can knock them over. I've got blue-legs, red-legs, scarlets, mithrax, a sally lightfoot, and some unknown hermits and I have never had the slightest problem out of any of them except this: they like to kill snails. That being said, you still need the crabs to clean up. All of the usually available snails are reef safe, just keep a check on how many you have, you will have to replenish every now and then.

rickytikki
09/10/2007, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah, don't ever completely trust any crab.