PDA

View Full Version : looking for auto top off

Sundiego
09/10/2007, 12:36 PM
I'm looking for a good quality automated top off device for my tank. I have RO/DI that runs to a 1/4" tubing. I want to make it automated and have it in my sump. I'm getting tired of manually adding 2 or more gallons a day to my tank.

Can anyone recommend one?

thx Mark

der_wille_zur_macht
09/10/2007, 12:45 PM
Could be as simple as a single Kent float valve on the end of that line, controlling flow in to the sump. This will keep things cheap - like $25 for the entire system!

A more robust (read: failsafe) measure would be to use the float valve, but include one or two electronic float switches controlling a solenoid valve on the line as a failsafe.

Still a third option, even more complicated and expensive, would be to have the RO feed in to a storage tank, and a separate system feeding your sump. Control of that second system depends on how you're moving the water to the sump from the storage tank. If the storage tank is higher, you can use gravity, controlled by either of the first two options above. If it's lower, you'll need a pump, controlled either by float switches and a relay or some other means.

Any time you're including float switches and relays or solenoid valves, put those devices on a timer so they are only "allowed" to run once a day for 15 minutes or so. This will keep the RO unit from turning on and off for a few seconds here and there all day, which keeps the water quality higher. It'll also help lessen the impact of a flood if your system gets stuck.

Any of the commecial devices available for using float switches to control a pump or solenoid can be substituted as you desire, though personally I don't see the need unless you're really afraid of DIY. Most of the commercial units are about $100, you can DIY the same sort of thing for about $20.

cd77
09/10/2007, 02:24 PM
I got a double switch (just in case) sump mount, some tubing, and a 66GPH pump from autotopoff.com and it is working great so far. I'm using a 5 gallon bucket for my reservoir. Cost was ~$70. Very easy to install.

Sundiego
09/10/2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks

bertoni
09/10/2007, 04:20 PM
I use a double float switch from Reef Fanatic, and a Master-Flex peristaltic pump. It's good for autotopoff, and can be used to dose lime safely.

navajo
09/10/2007, 05:49 PM
You can't go wrong with the Tunze Osmolator. Optical sensor and float valve. Been using one for years with NO problems. Although, it does cost a bit.

Chibils
09/10/2007, 06:22 PM
Depends on how much you want to spend. For $25-50, you can diy a working one. However, if you don't have much of a budget, the Tunze Ozmolator is just about foolproof and only doses a few ounces at a time.

It's up to you.

szgppl
09/10/2007, 07:06 PM
Tunze Ozmolator, is the best money I spent on my setup.

BangkokMatt
09/11/2007, 12:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10738345#post10738345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by navajo
You can't go wrong with the Tunze Osmolator. Optical sensor and float valve. Been using one for years with NO problems. Although, it does cost a bit.

I totally agree. Tunze Osmolator all the way. It is pricey but once you have got it you won't need to replace again. Its the only choice IMO.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/11/2007, 06:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10741204#post10741204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt
Its the only choice IMO.

. . . unless you're not afraid of DIY, in which case you can make a BETTER system for about 25% of the cost. ;)

ihopss
09/11/2007, 07:34 AM
Oceanus Systems (Atlas Pro)

setec69
09/11/2007, 07:41 AM
Go with the Tunze. I have heard of bad things from DIY and float valves sticking. I would rather spend $150 then save $75 only to have to pay it to a carpet cleaner to get the saltwater out of my carpent and then turn around and buy the Tunze like I should have the first time.

Great features, like optical sensor for exact water levels, small dose pump, and an alarm that sounds if your sump gets too full.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/11/2007, 08:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10741879#post10741879 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by setec69
Go with the Tunze. I have heard of bad things from DIY and float valves sticking. I would rather spend $150 then save $75 only to have to pay it to a carpet cleaner to get the saltwater out of my carpent and then turn around and buy the Tunze like I should have the first time.

Great features, like optical sensor for exact water levels, small dose pump, and an alarm that sounds if your sump gets too full.

Again, you can emulate (and/or surpass) all of the Tunze functionality with DIY. It's not rocket science. If people have float valves/switches that stick on a DIY system, then that's their fault for not building it right. And guess what? The components on the Tunze unit can fail, too.

Understand that I'm not knocking the Tunze. It's great for people not interested enough to build something better themselves - you can take it out of the box, plug it in, and forget about it. However, broadly labeling DIY systems as inadequate, dangerous, or prone to failure is simply wrong - DIY systems are only as good as the design you followed, which may or may not be "better" than the Tunze.

setec69
09/11/2007, 08:16 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying all DIY projects are bad, I just pick and choose the ones that I can tolerate messing up and the savings are worth the risk if I fail. To me, saving $50 to $75 on a top off system is not worth the time or effort, but that is just me. I have the Tunze and love it. I am sure I could do something different, but chose not too.

Good luck in what ever method you choose.

afelder
09/11/2007, 10:10 AM
Again, you can emulate (and/or surpass) all of the Tunze functionality with DIY. It's not rocket science. If people have float valves/switches that stick on a DIY system, then that's their fault for not building it right. And guess what? The components on the Tunze unit can fail, too.

Understand that I'm not knocking the Tunze. It's great for people not interested enough to build something better themselves - you can take it out of the box, plug it in, and forget about it. However, broadly labeling DIY systems as inadequate, dangerous, or prone to failure is simply wrong - DIY systems are only as good as the design you followed, which may or may not be "better" than the Tunze.

I agree completely. However; in my case the choice was made by the fact that I am not allowed to use DIY in the house except for furniture. That said I bought the osmolator.

CookieJar
09/11/2007, 02:12 PM
I have the ATO topoff system. It has 2 float switches so you have redundnecy and peace of mind it won't overflow. It's about $70-80 and I recommend it.

MalHavoc
09/11/2007, 02:45 PM
There's more to the Osmolator than just the top off float switches and optical sensor. There is the fact that it won't let your pump run dry, or let it run too long, either. That last one is pretty cool.

But yes, you can DIY something for way less money.

saltwater2642
09/11/2007, 03:00 PM
AUTOTOPOFF.COM