PDA

View Full Version : Sponge or part of the polyps?

mastou
09/10/2007, 01:39 PM
I have ever since I got these polyps wondered what this purple "slime" is, maybe some kind of sponge?
Hope some one can tell me if it is something I should try to remove or if it is part of the polyps?

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa188/mastoug/DSC00049Large.jpg

/Magnus

JetCat USA
09/10/2007, 09:12 PM
it's a sponge but it's not harmful to the paly's. if you did remove it though they'd likely spread allot quicker.

jjmcat
09/10/2007, 09:13 PM
IMO its a sponge.Do you by any chance see any small legs from tiny brittle stars waving around?

mastou
09/11/2007, 03:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10740218#post10740218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jjmcat
IMO its a sponge.Do you by any chance see any small legs from tiny brittle stars waving around?

I do have lots of tiny brittle stars in my aquarium, but don't recall if they are in/around the purple sponge (if thats what you mean?). I'll tjeck that later.

Why do you ask that (if I may ask), is it a predatory sponge feeding on brittle stars ;)

/Magnus

mastou
09/13/2007, 11:16 AM
I have now tried to remove as much of the sponge as possible, both by twicer and by blasting it with water.

When examined I did notice some brittle stars, but don't know what this means?

I fear the sponge will just grow back, but have tried to fragment the polyps so maybe I can be lucky and avoid the sponge in that way...

Do anybody have better ideas to get rid of the sponge?

/Magnus

JetCat USA
09/13/2007, 11:56 AM
scrub it off with a toothbrush, works great and won't damage the polyps, after you get it scrubbed off, let it sit in the air for about 10 min, air is one thing sponges don't like :) and again this won't hurt the polyps.

as far as seeing brittle stars sticking out, it's an indication that you've got the little brittle stars in your system, nothing more.

mastou
09/13/2007, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure a toothbrush can get in between the polyps, but leaving it out in the air sounds like a good idea, thanks for the answers :)

/Magnus