PDA

View Full Version : need a protein skimmer suggestion

bpeugh
09/10/2007, 09:05 PM
I think it is about time I move on from my CPR BakPak2 to something that is a bit better, and hopefully quiet. I am doing a 20L reef and was wondering what people might suggest. I would not like to spend astronomical amounts as this is kind of an economy tank but will spend some. Thanks.

medic29
09/11/2007, 06:00 AM
If you don't have a sump you are kind of limited in reference to skimmers. You can go with a Super Skimmer. It worked fairly well for me, but it also caused some "water emergencies" for me. When I was up at IMAC I talked with the Euro-reef rep and was told they were coming out with a HOB skimmer. I don't know if it is out yet, but if it is available I'm pretty sure it will cost more than the Super Skimmer.

If you had a sump I would go with an Octopus skimmer.

Benny Z
09/11/2007, 07:17 AM
for an in-tank solution, check out the tunze nano skimmer. they also have a "nano pack" which includes a mechanical filter w/ surface skimmer, the nano skimmer, and a magnet holder.

while tunze equipment is generally not cheap to purchase, i have found the nano equipment to be quite affordable.

as mentioned, the super skimmers are decent, but have a tendency to overflow easily. not good when the skimmer is outside the tank...

Horace
09/11/2007, 08:31 AM
IMO there are really no "good" HOB skimmers, and I would ALWAYS advise adding a sump to any tank if possible. Even good skimmers overflow on occasion, and in those situations unless you have a drain on your cup that goes to a sewer drain in the floor, your going to have a nasty mess on your hands. If you must use a hob skimmer, the tunze is probably the way to go, but IMHO it would be a heck of a lot better to just get a sump and a low price octo skimmer.

Benny Z
09/11/2007, 08:35 AM
one note - the tunze is in-tank, not hob... so if it does overflow, no big deal.

Horace
09/11/2007, 09:06 AM
Just what I would want is a fat skimmer in my tank :P

bpeugh
09/11/2007, 09:35 AM
It didn't look that fat to me and it would be pretty weird to run a sump off of a 20L.

Benny Z
09/11/2007, 09:49 AM
agreed - the tunze nano skimmers are hardly fat. they are very slim and should tuck nicely into a corner of a 20l.

bpeugh
09/11/2007, 11:19 AM
Now if I can just find one that doesn't cost over $100

bpeugh
09/11/2007, 11:19 AM
Now if I can just find one that doesn't cost over $100

Benny Z
09/11/2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=8734527&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Horace
09/11/2007, 01:21 PM
Anything in a 20 would seem fat to me :)

I even despise the phs i have in my tank, but unfortunatly they are a necessary evil.

brad23
09/11/2007, 02:21 PM
Deltec makes a hob that runs $600, suppose to be the best HOB skimmer out there. But who wants to pay that.

local44
09/11/2007, 06:34 PM
20l or even a 10 sump w/refuge would look great. I had a small tunze (around $139) on a 20l and it skimmed like a champ but added some temp. if you do a small sump/refuge you could get the best of both worlds, more volume, big fuge for your tank and a safe space for a skimmer..............................

local44
09/11/2007, 06:47 PM
just a side thought if that is an option for you I could donate an extra tank as a home while the plumbing is set up (I'm sure if you want to drill there will be plenty of help) this could open up plenty of skimming options and I could also donate all the goods minus lighting for a full fuge.......cheto, rubble, a little extra rock and sand

let me know

Jack

sidd129
09/12/2007, 11:42 PM
Deltec makes a hob that runs $600, suppose to be the best HOB skimmer out there. But who wants to pay that.

A used mce 600 goes for $350 shipped. I can say it is the best skimmer that I'v owned, but the only other one that I owned was a bakpak. So not much competition. They have their problems but they also have fixes for those problems.

webbstock
09/13/2007, 08:46 AM
I know that the deltec HOB gets really good reviews, but I honestly can't see spending ~$600 (new) or ~$350 (used) on a HOB skimmer for a small tank. That money could be wisely spent elsewhere.

I wonder why the Deltec MCE600 is so expensive...I guess the needlewheel they use must be gold plated...

For a 20, I'd either go skimmerless with water changes or DIY your own skimmer

Benny Z
09/13/2007, 08:55 AM
deltec will tell you it's because of the time and dollars spend in research and development. ...same reason their needlewheel-modified eheim pumps are $350.

others will tell you it's because people are willing to spend it.

in reality you can piece together a needlewheel skimmer for next to nothing using the same design as the big boys and it will skim just as well as the equivelent deltec, h&s, euroreef, _______ (insert expensive skimmer brand here).

bpeugh
09/13/2007, 10:54 AM
Could someone help me with makeing a tunze nano ripoff or of one of the others then? Has anyone found better pictures of the tunze nano?

scottflanagan
09/14/2007, 10:30 PM
on the contraire

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10742494#post10742494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bpeugh
It didn't look that fat to me and it would be pretty weird to run a sump off of a 20L.

I run a 40 breeder with a 20L sump and i plan on selling my tank and stand this winter after i am done setting up a 20 tall with a 20L sump and a 10gal fuge all under the tank in a cabinet i am going to work on soon.

more water volume = less work

+ with extra space below for live rock/sand/better skimmer you can really pack the coral tight in your display for max effect.