PDA

View Full Version : Nano Refugium

Drock169
09/11/2007, 01:26 AM
I finally decided to add a refugium to my BC14, so I'm going to add a 5G tank in my stand, I was wondering if any one has suggestions on the best way to do this, I was just going to run tubing from the 3rd chamber into it with an MJ900, and then run tubing to a chiller connected to another MJ900 back into the tank.

Also I was wondering if it would be worth while to put a DSB in the refugium tank with some Chaeto, or just go with LR rumble and Chaeto?

Thanks for your input

Avi
09/11/2007, 06:49 AM
Using two pumps in that way is a big gamble, I'd think. First of all, no two pumps are exactly the same and even if they are close enough, they may not continue to operate the same over time and one may even stop for one reason or another at some time. So, there are too many possibilities of flooding at some point in time. I would suggest using some kind of stand to raise the 5-gallon tank that you'd be using for the refugium up above your tank. If you drill it, you could then have gravity feed the main tank from the refugium as it fills with water from a pump (e.g. a MJ900) in your display tank. If that pump should ever fail for any reason, then there wouldn't be water getting into the refugium that could cause any flooding.

rlee81indy
09/11/2007, 08:11 AM
wow thats a great idea! I have never thought of operating a fuge that way

Drock169
09/11/2007, 09:28 AM
Maybe I'll look into adding some sort of auto shut off in the event of a pump failure

Avi
09/11/2007, 10:02 AM
I would think that's possible but for a 5-gallon tank the gear may be too big for auto-topoff.