PDA

View Full Version : Salifert

gandolf8
09/11/2007, 03:40 PM
Say on salifert test kits the plastic tip for the syringe is it suppose to be on every test just started using them. thx

SeanySean
09/11/2007, 03:48 PM
Yes, it controls the rate of flow from the syringe

gandolf8
09/11/2007, 03:52 PM
god all my test are wrong then like w/out plastic tip cal is 420 with plastic cal is 340

SeanySean
09/11/2007, 03:56 PM
They are the best but deff the worse to use... one tiny drip and the colour will change, without the tip you are adding like 5 drips at a time that is why you are getting a difference

Billybeau1
09/11/2007, 06:47 PM
The only kit you don't use the tip on is the ammonia kit that I know of.

Lightsluvr
09/11/2007, 07:10 PM
Sheesh...

I started out with a Marineland Test kit, and have been aquiring Salifert kits for the frequent (and vital) tests like ALK, CA, PO and MG. Now I read on another RC forum that Salifert kits are "crap". That makes me feel like a chump, because I thought I was aquiring top quality tests for my reef.

Which is correct? Is Salifert a safe reliable test system, or have I been snookered?

Thanks.

LL

bertoni
09/11/2007, 07:12 PM
I've been using Salifert test kits for years without troubles. There might be a problem with some of the latest alkalinity test kits.

All the brands seem to get some bad reviews from time to time.

Billybeau1
09/11/2007, 07:39 PM
Don't feel like a chump. [chimp]

I've been using Saliferts for years. No problems on this end.

I agree with Jonathan. They all get a bad rap every now and then. I think your in good shape. :)

Lightsluvr
09/12/2007, 10:39 AM
Maybe the complainers are suffering from "operator error"... ;)

Thanks for the reassurances.

LL

Aquarist007
09/12/2007, 12:13 PM
I put this on another thread--but I'll repeat it.
I think it is operator error due to reusing the 1ml syringe everytime and redipping it in the testing solution--some contanmination or precipitation over time?

Can you buy throw away 1 ml. syringes anywhere

Maudsley
09/12/2007, 01:28 PM
I disagree with that one Capt, I have 3 Salifert Alk kits all testing the same water at different Alk levels, two kits were brand new. I was also one of the people that Habib sent the reference solution to and all three kits are reading between 1.5-3.1 dkh high. I still have Salifert kits for Mg, Ca, Sr but I use API for my alk tests now until this all get sorted out, my API reads 8 DKH when Salifert reads 10.3, 11, and 11.3. My LFS salifert kit is right on with my API kit. I think this is bigger than user error.

grouper25
09/12/2007, 02:17 PM
Me Too. I have now switched totally to AP. I dont need the headaches and uncertainty for that $$$$$$

QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10746554#post10746554 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lightsluvr
Sheesh...

I started out with a Marineland Test kit, and have been aquiring Salifert kits for the frequent (and vital) tests like ALK, CA, PO and MG. Now I read on another RC forum that Salifert kits are "crap". That makes me feel like a chump, because I thought I was aquiring top quality tests for my reef.

Which is correct? Is Salifert a safe reliable test system, or have I been snookered?

Thanks.

LL [/QUOTE]

Aquarist007
09/13/2007, 07:25 AM
I decided to be very thorough with using the salifert kit last night.
I discovered that the syringe is taking in air in the middle of the syringe when I use it. With the syringe very narrow the bubble appeared as a hairline until I actually held it up to the light I would have never noticed it.
Now the bottle is 8/10 used meaning the plastic tip on the end is now longer fully submerged--other the that it has me puzzled where the air is coming from.

ShapeGSX
09/13/2007, 08:24 AM
It is ok to have air in the syringe. The air is already in the plastic tip, and you just draw it in behind the solution.

Don't worry about the air. You have 1mL of solution in the syringe, even with the air in it.

Aquarist007
09/13/2007, 09:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10757071#post10757071 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ShapeGSX
It is ok to have air in the syringe. The air is already in the plastic tip, and you just draw it in behind the solution.

Don't worry about the air. You have 1mL of solution in the syringe, even with the air in it.

this band of air stays trapped in the middle of the solution and moves with it as it is dripped

the air is in the middle of the solution----and takes up about ~.1 of it--it is accounted for ml.--if it is left in when the titration is complete it throws off the ml that is left.

bertoni
09/13/2007, 02:24 PM
As long as the band of air isn't expelled during the titration, it shouldn't affect the result. Perhaps the plastic tip is a bit clogged or otherwise isn't fitting tightly on the syringe. I assume the tip and the syringe are completely emptied before being used?

Aquarist007
09/13/2007, 03:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10759612#post10759612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
As long as the band of air isn't expelled during the titration, it shouldn't affect the result. Perhaps the plastic tip is a bit clogged or otherwise isn't fitting tightly on the syringe. I assume the tip and the syringe are completely emptied before being used?

that's just it---it does come out instead of fluid--then the remaining fluid---so isn't that affecting the amount in there?

I just bought another test kit on the way home today so I will use both tonight and compare. :)

bertoni
09/13/2007, 04:03 PM
Yep, if the air is coming out during the titration, that'll change the result.

Billybeau1
09/13/2007, 11:11 PM
Capt, if you have air trapped in the middle of the syringe, you need to tap it lightly with your finger to get the air bubble up to the top.

My air gap always ends up on the top of the syringe.

Or you are drawing too fast. Try slowing down a little.

edandsandy
09/14/2007, 06:54 AM
Now I am completely confused on what to use. I am a newbie, so please be understanding. What is the AP you are talking about?
is that a reagent?
Our LFS talked us into using the 5 in 1 Mardel test strips. it test for ph, hardness, alkalinity, nitrite and nitrate.
It does not offer a calcium test.
I was using the Red Sea reagent. being new I thought it was good.

Aquarist007
09/14/2007, 11:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10760228#post10760228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
that's just it---it does come out instead of fluid--then the remaining fluid---so isn't that affecting the amount in there?

I just bought another test kit on the way home today so I will use both tonight and compare. :)

post script:

the old kit three alk tests: off scale, 12.2, 12.0
new test kit: 10.6, 10.2,10.6

those kits must have a usage or shelf life?

Aquarist007
09/14/2007, 11:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10763449#post10763449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Capt, if you have air trapped in the middle of the syringe, you need to tap it lightly with your finger to get the air bubble up to the top.

My air gap always ends up on the top of the syringe.

Or you are drawing too fast. Try slowing down a little.
billybeau1--got you covered tried that---I think it is a defective syringe or the shelf life has expired on the dosing bottle

Billybeau1
09/14/2007, 12:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10764320#post10764320 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edandsandy
Now I am completely confused on what to use. I am a newbie, so please be understanding. What is the AP you are talking about?
is that a reagent?
Our LFS talked us into using the 5 in 1 Mardel test strips. it test for ph, hardness, alkalinity, nitrite and nitrate.
It does not offer a calcium test.
I was using the Red Sea reagent. being new I thought it was good.

AP stands for API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals). Their test kits are accurate, easy to use and inexpensive. Tell your LFS to pick you up some and get off the test strips. They have Calcium, Alkalinity, pH, Phosphate, Nitrite and Nitrate and Ammonia.

Billybeau1
09/14/2007, 01:00 PM
Capt, the only way I can see you getting an air bubble in the middle of the syringe is if you pulled the tip out of the solution during extraction. Or the tip isn't on tight enough.

You must keep the tip submerged during the entire drawing process.

bertoni
09/14/2007, 02:45 PM
Or the tip might be cracked.

edandsandy
09/14/2007, 03:15 PM
Billybeau1, thanks for the information.
I really don't like the 5 in 1.

Aquarist007
09/14/2007, 08:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10767191#post10767191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
Or the tip might be cracked.

I think you are right--actually I know you are right---but you can't put the entire tip in a bottle that has only a little bit left in it.
As stupid as it sounds---is the test kit done when you can't submerge the tip in the titration medium anymore.

I was told by the supplier that you can't buy sol'n separetly for salifert tests. That would mean that you are forking out 20 bucks for an alk test kit when you still have ~2cm left of the medium
Kind of an expensive waste---I don't imagine a small bottle of that solution is worth more than 4 dollars?

Billybeau1
09/16/2007, 12:57 AM
No you can't get refills but I still think 100 tests for 20 bucks isn't too bad. Probably more like 120 or so.

Funny thing is I personally have always run out of the indicator solution before exhausting my titration fluid.

I suppose thats because I keep my alk a little higher than most. :D

Aquarist007
09/16/2007, 06:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10775832#post10775832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
No you can't get refills but I still think 100 tests for 20 bucks isn't too bad. Probably more like 120 or so.

Funny thing is I personally have always run out of the indicator solution before exhausting my titration fluid.

I suppose thats because I keep my alk a little higher than most. :D

ok------grasshopper askes--------oh great mentor---what do you keep your alkalinity at :cool:

sabbath
09/16/2007, 08:01 AM
I super glued my tip to the syringe because it was sucking in air between them.

Billybeau1
09/16/2007, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10776075#post10776075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
ok------grasshopper askes--------oh great mentor---what do you keep your alkalinity at :cool:

I try and keep my tank at 12-13 dkh. Remember I have fish only and I just like the way my tank looks with a little higher alkalinity. It also helps keep my pH up when the house is closed up. :)

Aquarist007
09/17/2007, 08:22 AM
I actually understand the scientific reasoning behind this---boy I am getting better--thanks guys :)