PDA

View Full Version : Can i glue my crocea to the rocks?

NanoReefWanabe
09/11/2007, 06:42 PM
this clam is driving me nuts..

for the last four days in a row i wake to find him face first in the sand...then i fix and come home from work to find him again face first in the sand..

he was quite content on the rock he was on for the last two months, and i have witnessed at least 2 mm growth along the edge..he is at the bottom of my 20H directly under a 150 HQI 20K lamp..

i recently put a Hawaiian feather duster close by and when the worm is out it seems to tickle the mantle...i suspect this is the problem as of late..the worm is driving me nuts too as i had him in one place..and some how or other it has wiggled its way over to where the clam was sitting..

Mr. clam is now higher up on the rocks and far from any disturbances...i hope he is happier...i am not as i am scared if he decides to jump again he will get hurt in the tumble..

Is there anyway to stick them down and hope they bunker down for the long haul?

his byssl threads were wrapped around a stupid little piece of rubble...so by the advice of some eople on the boards i very carfully cut as close as absolutely possible to the rock..freeing him of the nuisance piece of rubble...now it seems like there is just a little foot like thing sticking out the bottom which i am sure he is using to swan dive everyday..i left lots of threads under him but i dont see any trace of them anymore..will they grow back?

a little help please with my unhappy clam..

parameters are steady @:

1.026, ph 8.0, alk12, cal 410, mag ?, temp 79*, nitrate and nitrite 0 as well as ammonia...

mrme
09/12/2007, 12:30 AM
My new little Clam did this for several hours when i first put him in the tank.
I suggest setting him down on a steady surface, and perhaps using a few small rocks to prop/hold him in place. Or placing him on a small movable rock/surface and then gently push him into a crevice, so that if he closes quickly, he wont fall off.
They don't take long to fully attach, just a day or so.

mrme
09/12/2007, 12:32 AM
ps. set him right side up, so that his mantel is facing up. This way, his threads will be right next to the rock and he will have an easier time attaching, this is how they are found in nature as well.

NanoReefWanabe
09/15/2007, 11:06 PM
mine has been loose since i put him in the tank...well the day after i cut off the piece of rubble that was stuck under him anyway...

doesnt the mantle always face up? how else would you position the clam? did you mean the exfluent siphon at the top? with the influent opening at the bottom? that is how he has alway been placed...

he is growing wel i think...and seems to be happier now thta he i higher in the rock and away from all other distractions in the tank....

Gary Majchrzak
09/15/2007, 11:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10775486#post10775486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoReefWanabe
mine has been loose since i put him in the tank...well the day after i cut off the piece of rubble that was stuck under him anyway...
I would never advise someone to cut off the rubble a clam is attached to- it's an anchor.
You need to set your clam upright and block it in ASAP. Surround it with rubble or whatever it takes to keep it in place and upright. NO glue though!
A small clam that keeps flipping over won't live very long IME.

NanoReefWanabe
09/17/2007, 03:55 PM
i know i shouldnt have cut the piece off of him but it seemed to be irritating him and he wouldnt sit on any rocks i tried to sit him on...just kept rolling off...it was more like a piece of dead Digitata that he was holding onto..

i have him tucked into a couple rocks now...but there is little under him...i will have to smash up a rock into rubble i guess for him to grab on..

he hasnt jumped for about two weeks now...i really think it was the Hawaiian feather duster that was aggravating him and making him jump..

of course now that i have moved him..my finger leather decides to really start stretching out and now it is also getting close to him...i cant believe how much it has expanded lately (the leather that is) i am going to rearrange all the rocks this weekend anyway...so will make a nice little nest for the Crocea then..