PDA

View Full Version : Ball corallimorphs?

Candi
09/11/2007, 08:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any info on these? I don't have any photos to share as my larger ones are in the back of my tank and under a small cave... however I just noticed today that I have at least 2 more growing on the side bottom rocks (can try to photograph these tomorrow)

I know one I've had awhile, its about quarter sized right now. Color wise it's hard to tell since they are mostly in dark areas but the balls look white mostly, maybe a hint of color to them.

My concern is that this is my nano tank, and houses a small yellow clown goby and a green banded goby, I've read the orange ball corallimorphs can eat fish/inverts... do I need to worry about whatever type are in my tank?

Travis L. Stevens
09/13/2007, 03:07 PM
Even though they aren't anemones, their common name is "ball anemones". Using that as a search criteria will yield more hits. In addition, yes they can eat small fish, but I wouldn't worry much about them until they start to get very large.

fvandijk
09/14/2007, 04:08 PM
If tips are white it may be Phyllangia americana (hidden cup coral), a stony coral. They come in on Caribbean (including Haitian and aquacultured) live rock. They don't seem to need any special care- got a few in my nano.

Travis L. Stevens
09/15/2007, 12:13 AM
Yes, but Hidden Cup Corals have skeletons and Pseudocorynactis don't

fvandijk
09/16/2007, 01:38 PM
True. But sometimes the tissue obscures the underlying skeleton.