PDA

View Full Version : Hippo tang and odd question about ick and bacteria patch

setec69
09/12/2007, 06:06 AM
My Hippo tang has been in my tank about 2 months now and seems very healthy and happy. Sunday I noticed her diving at the sand, so I looked closer and there are a few small white spots on her side, but all of the other fish looked fine. So I decided to wait and see if it was ick or something else.

The next day she was swimming around normal again and eating fine and all of the spots were gone.

Today I noticed a small white patch on her side that looks like bacteria.

I am assuming this is a secondary infection from the ick? Is it normal for tangs to fight off the ick them selves and if so, will this too clear up or is it time to freak out and start treating my tank?

The real problem is, she is in a 180 with a lot of live rock, so getting her out is near impossible, but I don’t want to kill the other fish, so is there anything I should look for or can do in the mean time?

On a side note, I did notice a small white spot on my mandarin goby's fin, but it does not look like fuzz or ick, it just looks like a discoloration. Not sure if this is related as he is acting normal, but I really don't want to lose him as he is the first mandarin I have ever seen eat pellet food.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

wayne in norway
09/12/2007, 07:11 AM
You need to decide if it was ick in the first place - there are plenty other things that can cause little white dots, and it's not always easy to figure out what's what (thus explaining many ich miracle cures).
I would not be worrying yet - fish get little scrapes all the time

setec69
09/12/2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks, I will keep an eye on her. I know Hippos like to hide in tight spots that can cause scrapes. I just dont want it to get to far and kill off my tank because I waited to long to treat.

darkcirca
09/12/2007, 08:24 AM
Have any pictures of the spots? My tomini got beat by the rocks when we first got him. Here's the picture of what he looked like. He's all better now, with just some darker areas where the scratches were.
http://wgnrs.dynalias.com:81/~sdennis/tang/4.jpg

xtm
09/12/2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by setec69
so I looked closer and there are a few small white spots on her side..........

Trophont Stage aka "feeding state"

.......The next day she was swimming around normal again and eating fine and all of the spots were gone.

Protomont Stage (Ich exits the host before encysting)

......Today I noticed a small white patch on her side that looks like bacteria.

I believe that after the parasite feeds on the fish, it leaves a white "discolored" patch on the skin. I see this all the time.

I am assuming this is a secondary infection from the ick? Is it normal for tangs to fight off the ick them selves and if so, will this too clear up or is it time to freak out and start treating my tank?

IMO building "immunity" from Ich is only a temporary solution. You need to get rid of the parasite completely.

The real problem is, she is in a 180 with a lot of live rock, so getting her out is near impossible, but I don’t want to kill the other fish, so is there anything I should look for or can do in the mean time?

I use "The Trap" made by Ultralife. Don't feed the Hippo for days and put the trap in. He'll bite.

btw, Do you quarantine your livestock?

setec69
09/12/2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, I always QT. The hippo was in QT for over 3 weeks.

So you think it will continue to cycle? I have had fish get ick before, but it always lasted more than 1 day.

Leeroy
09/13/2007, 08:17 AM
Personally, I don't think it was white spot, to be there one day and gone the next.
In the early stages, you will see the fish swimming against soft surfaces (flashing), usually the sand bed, trying to scratch itself and get rid of the itch).
They attach to the gills first, but I find the first obvious signs are little white spots on the pectoral fins.
Watch the tang, and get a feel for his breathing rate. If he has white spot, his breathing rate will increase as he is struggling to get more oxygen through his gills.
Although nice, they are one of the most stupid tangs.
My latest one, seems to like to find refuge in acro's. For the first week he was all scratched up to buggery.
He may just be getting sand or grit caught up in the mucus in his skin, which looks like white spot, but is dislodged naturally the next day.
Keep an eye on him and good luck.

Lee

bureau13
09/13/2007, 02:40 PM
Fish occasionally just like to hit the sand a bit, and sometimes some of it sticks. If you only saw it one day, and then it disappeared, I think its too early to panic. Keep an eye on that patch though, just to be safe.

jds