PDA

View Full Version : Tank Glass front and back is flexing. Help/Opinion needed fast

mikedp
09/12/2007, 07:48 AM
Alright,

***the setup
So my tank is a 40 gallon breeder(no center brace) from all glass purchased from Petco. Tthe tank has been setup for 3 months, 2 months with 100/lbs of live rock in tank. Now when I set the tank up on my stand at first it didnt sit exactly flat on the surface so I used layers of card board to create support towards the middle as when first set up it seems like the two sides were supporting the most weight. The tank is currently level. Matter of fact I ened up using cardboard all around to help it level. There is also a skimmer hang on back on tank, and lights on top with legs on sides.

***heres the Problem

I noticed the tanks front a back glass are starting to flex a little bit. About 1/8" in the center of tank from where it normally should be if even that. Kind of like when a box is filled to much and looks like its to full.
This flexing bothers me but I wanted to hear what other people thought/other experiences, I think i am going to stop at walmart on the way home from work and pick up a few 30 gal rubber maids and break the tank down to try and fix the problem??

I also had a 55 gallon tank on this stand at one time and I never noticed any flexing/bending in the glass....but i guess that tank had a center brace.

I doesnt look dire like I have to leave work to fix it right now but something that should be addressed soon.

Thanks in advance!

TomRep
09/12/2007, 08:09 AM
I used to have a 30 long with no bracing and I think it flexed more then that. See what everyone else thinks.
tom

mikedp
09/12/2007, 08:22 AM
Talked with all glass aquariums via the phone...all-glass.com

Tech support told me that if the frame is intact around tops and bottom and that if the flex from side to center is less than 1/4-1/2" everything shold be alright. now we pray =P

K' Family Reef
09/12/2007, 08:37 AM
you might go by home depot/walmart and buy a wet dry vac just in case!
:eek2:

mikedp
09/12/2007, 10:05 AM
Well I dont own one personally, but I have access to one.

Thanks for your responses, I am going to continue to monitor the situation and pray to god nothing goes wrong. Either that or go buy an acrylic

xtm
09/12/2007, 11:15 AM
I have seen the 40L from Petco in person and I know exactly what you're saying about the flexing. The glass is rather thin and I can flex it with my hand. However, the tank is fairly shallow (I believe 15" tall?) so it's probably not an issue. Did you just notice this flexing? Did it flex like this when you first filled it up?

mikedp
09/12/2007, 12:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10750799#post10750799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm
Did you just notice this flexing? Did it flex like this when you first filled it up?

I have been debating this issue in my head. I remember when I got the tank that it seemed that the top looked a little flexed but I seem recall thinking that maybe it was just the plastic rim that was warped a little.

I too can push on the top just a little and it will flex into place. I only did this one time and was gentle. This tank is the breeder not the long but yes your correct when you said its aroound 15-16" tall. I guess thats a good way to consider it. The tank is shallower and thus less overall presssure.

Just to clarify again, the front and back of the tank are both flexings. Its harder for me to tell whats going on in the back because of the background and pumps and wires etc etc.

One thought I have is that when the tank was orignally set up the two sides (left and right sides) running front to back. made complete contact with the stand while if you looked between the tank and stand there was a small gap. I mean maybe the width of a piece of cardboard. To fix the problem I took some sheets of card board and placed them under the tank. Now I wonder if maybe the tank has flexed in the middle causing the front and back glass to flex a bit as well....

Again your thoughts, suggestions, perspectives are all welcome and all appriciated.

mikedp
09/12/2007, 12:03 PM
Also to answer your question xtm, I think this is the first time I have noticed that the actual glass was flexing.

zach0660
09/12/2007, 03:48 PM
I had to end up cutting out the center brace on my 65gal. I bought a Coralife AqualightPro 36" and it only has 1MH, so when the halide would come on, it would cast a shadow over the majority of the tank and it would heat up the brace like no other. I noticed right away about the bending on the front glass and I am praying to god that the unthinkable won't happen.

mikedp
09/12/2007, 04:14 PM
had to end up cutting out the center brace on my 65gal

Zach0660, I am going to have to say that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I've been rippin up the forum searches as well as googling like mad through today. I have learned a few things as well as speaking with all-glass folks.

I can say with confidence in my searches that tanks built with a center brace were built with it for a reason. And while everythings cool now, over time your going have problems. Both all-glass and every forum post i have read about broken center braces makes this point. FIX IT. OR consider going with a different MH fixture, I dont personally use MH on my tank because of my crappy central AC and living on the 3rd floor. but if you want some tips on setting up MH fixtures and how to do it for around $100 bucks ...for a 400Watt setup I can help you. I am electrical engineer and we use MH and HPS lighting for large area lighting, so needless to say I can give you what ever specs insight, details you need. Ok that was a bit off topic rant.

I have also read alot of peoples posts with 10,29,40 gallon tanks with no center braces. Their responses seem to be that the bowing started from day one or set in with in the first couple of months but was not a problem in the long run. I found many posts on Reef Central. Marshreef.com (houston SW site) and cichlid-forum(FW cichlid site) all with people claiming to have tanks setup from anywhere from a few months like my self to 15+ years where these small tanks due to thinner glass and no center support will experience bowing upto 1/4".

From what I can tell as well, as long as all 4 corners of tank are supports this should work in theory on smaller tanks but thats still up for debate...but per all-glass 4 corners is ok.

I am happy to field any questions or thoughts as I now feel like I have read 100+ threads on a vary of topics with keywords: bow, flex, crack, stretch, belge, and bend oh and....HELP!!!!

thanks guys. finally glad I can give back to this forum in some way. I am even considering compiling all this information along with some physical specs.

Mykel Obvious
09/12/2007, 06:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10752623#post10752623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zach0660
I had to end up cutting out the center brace on my 65gal. I bought a Coralife AqualightPro 36" and it only has 1MH, so when the halide would come on, it would cast a shadow over the majority of the tank and it would heat up the brace like no other. I noticed right away about the bending on the front glass and I am praying to god that the unthinkable won't happen.

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

I think this is a BAD idea!! Yes, there are tanks this size that are rimless, but I believe that they are thicker glass and can stand the pressures as thicker glass also equals wider seams in the corners and better strength in the center... I'd advise rigging up either a glass brace or 2 braces of some other material (one ever foot) if you want to keep the center open for your MH fixture (I had the same issue when looking for MH lighting, and decided to skip it on this tank for now)... heck, might even go with glass Eurobracing if you can store your critters for a few days and are of a DIY bent...

yes, it might hold without the original brace, but then again you might come home to a floor full of saltwater and many dead critters!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Keep us informed on what happens or what you decided to do...

MeuserReef
09/12/2007, 06:42 PM
I have a 30 gallon tank that does not have a center brace and I have a small amount of flex in the glass too. I dont think its anything to worry about.

zach0660
09/12/2007, 07:08 PM
mykel Obvious,
I understand what your saying but I dont have anything to store the water in for now and I am thinking about downgrading to a 40breeder b/c it is the same dimensions as the 65tall just shorter, but I also don't want to go through the hassle of removing everything from my tank and swithing. I am worried that the tank would have to recycle itself and I would end up losing hundreds of dollars of fish and corals. I really don't know what to do about this predicament.

mikedp
09/13/2007, 07:47 AM
Well I inspected the seals on my tank last nite. It seems that there is couple of places with a bunch of tiny air bubbles but its not that far into the seal. The glass is 1/4" by the way.

On one side you can see where it looks like the glass pulled away. There is a small white line running down the seam and then next to that some random deformaties that you see with alot of silicone seals. When i push on the rim at top and push the glass to where it would be without flex the small white lines become compressed under the glass. I am not sure what to think at this point but I took pictures of the seams, will try and post later, and for now I am just going to monitor the situation and with the weekend coming up I'll have plenty of time at home to think about it and keep an eye out.