PDA

View Full Version : So,I picked up a Foxface Rabbit yesterday

stingythingy45
09/12/2007, 07:56 AM
"I'll take the small yellow kiver in the corner".lol
I read up on them for the last couple days to get some idea what to expect.I had the LFS owner feed him/her first,ate some mysis right up.I also asked how reef safe they were as I read where they sometime nip zoas.We checked the books just to make sure and it said they'll nip if they get hungry or not fed enough.BTW,the owner pointed out that they had one cruising their frag tank......no problems.So I get it home and the wife is all excited to see the nice bright yellow color.I take it out of the bag and behold......it's a marble gray color.:eek1:
I know they change when frightened, but the wife thought I got the wrong fish.lol
Anyways,after a drip of about 30 minutes to acclimate,in it went.
I know this is not a good practise(no quarantine).But I watched this particular fish in the tank at the LFS for almost 3 weeks before buying.After introducing,the fish hid for a while behind the LR and then after about an hour came out and ate with the rest of the crew.
Color was back to normal bright yellow last night.My question about them is:
Do they get used to people looking at them without slowly moving to the back of the tank?

discocarp
09/12/2007, 08:10 AM
They have great personality. They'll eat out of your hand once they get used to the tank.

They can nip corals though. I have one now that is fine, but I had one in the past that had to go back to the LFS. Its a roll of the dice, but IMO they are less likely to nip than, say, dwarf angels.

Watch out for those spines!

Travis L. Stevens
09/12/2007, 08:13 AM
Give it time and it will come out more often and display it's normal colors. This is pretty normal behavior

stingythingy45
09/12/2007, 10:07 AM
Cool,
My damsel gave it some really threatening gestures(waving it's tail at him).But the Foxface just raised them spines a few times.;)
I can't wait to check up on him when I get home.

HDAlien
09/12/2007, 11:19 AM
Mine is very friendly and doesn't hide at all, just give him some time to get used to his new home.

Serioussnaps
09/12/2007, 11:52 AM
Very timid...mine runs from any sudden movement around the tank. I am slowly getting him to get used to me. If i ease up he will eat out of my hand, but I prefer not to do this with a rabbit for obvious reasons.

Mine ate zoas