PDA

View Full Version : Ostracion meleagris (Blue Boxfish) If you have owned one plz read!

SeaHorsie*03
09/12/2007, 09:21 AM
Has anyone here kept a blue boxfish (male Ostracion meleagris) or black spotted (female ostracion meleagris) for a year or anywhere close? I have been trying to find as much information on them as possible, but its very hard because it doesn't seem like anyone has them here. I have seen them for sale every once in a while, but there is not very much information at all on the internet about them. Most of the info I have been able to find was from websites that have species profiles, the people that write them just write general descriptions of boxfish care and that ostracion meleagris is the most well known species for their toxin.

If anyone has had any experience at all with Ostracion meleagris, could you tell about them?

I have read many times that O. meleagris is the most well-known for releasing their toxin, and that they are also less hardy than other species. If you have a blue boxfish, is it very likely that your aquarium will eventually get poisoned, like your just waiting for it to happen? Or is their a good chance that if you feed them a good diet, keep them in a mainly species tank with maybe a male and female pair, and some quiet, peaceful, slow fish that they will do well in captivity and not poison and kill the tank?

Will having carbon in the filter actually save your aquarium from dying (if poisoned) if you don't catch it on time? If it would work, how much would you need to have running?

Rob73
09/14/2007, 04:30 AM
Maybe this is helpfull: www.cowfishes.com

SeaHorsie*03
09/26/2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the website, it has the best info on boxfish of all the websites I have found. :)
Does no one keep these fish?