PDA

View Full Version : Florida FOWLR tank...

BBoley24
09/12/2007, 10:12 AM
If I were to use the sand from the beach here in Manasota Key south of Venice... and the water... and put only the fish from the ocean that I would catch... Would it survive? Also... Would my pumps/skimmer take a toll on this water? I wouldnt think so but just a thought...

Travis L. Stevens
09/12/2007, 10:18 AM
Be aware that there are laws and regulations in most coastal states about the collection of fish, rock, sand, etc. After you manage to legal obtain any of the following you are thinking of collecting, I would worry about where you get the water and sand from. The sand on beaches is usually dirty and polluted. Water close to shore is the same. It's like using water from a skimmer. Any filters on your tank won't harm any natural sources. Collecting livestock locally presents its largest challenge. Once again, check local and state laws. As far as getting natural sand and water goes, collect it far from shore bound pollutants.

BBoley24
09/12/2007, 10:30 AM
yes I checked on the local laws a few months ago before moving to florida. There are certain things and species that you are unable to obtain but for the most part collecting in moderation under a certain amount depending on species is allowed with a fishing license IE peppermint shrimp and small things... NO MANGROVES!!! anyhow... if I were to clean the sand from the beach like I do my aragonite when taking out... would that help the situation? I would only be using the animals from the current location nothing store bought.... my parents just built a house here and I thought it would be neat to have a little florida wildlife in their home. I have read many of your posts Travis and I respect your opinion!!!

Aquabucket
09/12/2007, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10750415#post10750415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
Be aware that there are laws and regulations in most coastal states about the collection of fish, rock, sand, etc. After you manage to legal obtain any of the following you are thinking of collecting, I would worry about where you get the water and sand from. The sand on beaches is usually dirty and polluted. Water close to shore is the same. It's like using water from a skimmer. Any filters on your tank won't harm any natural sources. Collecting livestock locally presents its largest challenge. Once again, check local and state laws. As far as getting natural sand and water goes, collect it far from shore bound pollutants.

Not to be nit-picking or anything but have you collected in Florida before?

I have, and almost everything I collected near shore did very well. Pollution was never a problem. Too many people think just because you are collecting near metropolitan areas, beaches, etc... that the water, sand etc. is going to be unsuitable for aquarium use. Quite frankly the opposite is true. You can also take simple steps to filter the water before using it. Check out Paul B's 30 year old tank. He has been collecting his stuff off Long Island for years including water, pods and all types of marine life.

BBoley24
09/12/2007, 11:54 AM
wow that is great info... not just because its what i wanted to hear... i have never collected in florida before... I just bought a cheap tank for my parents place and had a skimmer and such and thought it would make for a great florida tank.

AquaKnight
09/12/2007, 12:24 PM
Any fish and sand are pretty much a good to go (as long it's not a state park), water is definitely fine (collect at high tide), the only thing would be collecting live rock, big no-no, as well as some corals, mostly gorgonians, that are off limits.

BBoley24
09/12/2007, 12:30 PM
thank you very much for the info although there arent any coral here on the gulf side...

AquaKnight
09/12/2007, 12:35 PM
Sure there are, http://www.gulfmex.org/duoy.htm

They just may not be the easiest to get to lol...

TitusvileSurfer
09/12/2007, 12:48 PM
You have the gulf stream hitting hard in south Florida. The water is constantly being taken up north and being replaced with more from the Carribian.

BBoley24
09/12/2007, 12:58 PM
That sounds promising... Are there any sites out there that can show me what I can expect to find south of sarasota?

Travis L. Stevens
09/12/2007, 01:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10750834#post10750834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquabucket
Not to be nit-picking or anything but have you collected in Florida before?
What does that have to do with anything?

I have, and almost everything I collected near shore did very well. Pollution was never a problem. Too many people think just because you are collecting near metropolitan areas, beaches, etc... that the water, sand etc. is going to be unsuitable for aquarium use. Quite frankly the opposite is true. You can also take simple steps to filter the water before using it. Check out Paul B's 30 year old tank. He has been collecting his stuff off Long Island for years including water, pods and all types of marine life.
I wasn't saying that EVERYWHERE is polluted, but to be careful and it might be better to err on the side of caution. But regardless of where you are, where your collection area is located, etc there is one solid fact about the oceans; to put it simply the shore is a skimmer. Many nasty things wash up on shore. It's not to mean that all the coast line all around the world is polluted and uninhabitable, but you should just be knowledgable about the environment around you. I'm sure you'll agree, but wouldn't you rather collect near an area that is more unrefined than one that is highly industrialized? To me, it just makes sense. I realize that there are many people that have many successful tanks with collected goods, and even then, lots of these animals only live close to shore. But, like I just said, it might be wiser to collect in an area that is potentially cleaner, near shore or not.

thor32766
09/12/2007, 01:28 PM
just so you do know most beaches here are silica sand. The same stuff you can buy new in quickrete sand.

BBoley24
09/12/2007, 01:44 PM
Yes I did notice that there is a large portion of silica and crushed coral on the island. Ill put some aragonite in the sump.

tcwayne
09/12/2007, 02:18 PM
BBoley I have done water changes from Bradenton beach, Ft. desoto, Several places on St. Pete Beach and on saturday I got 25 gallons from Sunset Beach just south of Treasure Island. I have to dillute with filtered water and test very well but I have not ever had a problem. I guess there is some risk but my tank looks great and my fish seem to love it. In my 46 I have had in the past and currently have small fish that I caught with my cast net out at the grass flats at Ft. Desoto. I'm fully liscenced if anyone is questioning. i also get snails and crabs its alot of fun for me. All legal. Don't mess with rock or corals if you can get to them. I don't think sand is worth the trouble unless you can find some that hasn't someones feet or butt on it (not likely). Oh I almost forgot I mix the real ocean water in a 45 gallon tub and have to cool it with a fan and power head and sometimes ice.

Aquabucket
09/12/2007, 02:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10751555#post10751555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis L. Stevens
regardless of where you are, where your collection area is located, etc there is one solid fact about the oceans; to put it simply the shore is a skimmer. Many nasty things wash up on shore. It's not to mean that all the coast line all around the world is polluted and uninhabitable, but you should just be knowledgable about the environment around you. I'm sure you'll agree, but wouldn't you rather collect near an area that is more unrefined than one that is highly industrialized? To me, it just makes sense. I realize that there are many people that have many successful tanks with collected goods, and even then, lots of these animals only live close to shore. But, like I just said, it might be wiser to collect in an area that is potentially cleaner, near shore or not.

The gulf side of Florida has very little industry, the waters are very calm for the most part. You can find very clear water within 10-20 feet from shore. Much of the best collecting occurs in these areas. Also some really good collecting occurs right were the shore and mangroves meets the water. You can simply dip your net into the clumps of algae/seaweed then look into the net to see what you caught. These are called blind stabs. At any given stab you may find, blennies, gobies, pinfish, pistol shrimp, sand shrimp, crabs, and much more.

Another surprising thing is when you take blind stabs into floating algae and seaweed near the shore along beaches ~ here you can find filefish, puffers, and other surprises.

EDIT: I caught this awesome sandsifting goby right next to shore with a blind stab into the weeds:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/32290Emerald03.jpg

tcwayne
09/12/2007, 03:06 PM
aquabucket you got that goby where? I have been trying to get gobys with my net and got none. I have gotten filefish and other stuff but never a goby, that is awesome.

Aquabucket
09/12/2007, 03:08 PM
Here are some other things I collected keeping in mind I caught all these things wading along beaches, tide pools, mangroves, and from docks etc...

Burrfish:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/32290Burrfish01.jpg

Frillfin Goby:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/32290SWGoby02.jpg

Red Sponge:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/32290RedSponge2.jpg

Everything except some of the rock in the tank below was legally collected near the shore at Clam Pass Park in Naples Fl. I was allowed to take some of the rocks that washed up on shore and had permission from the local ranger to do so. These rocks still had plenty of life in them including feather dusters, macro algae and pods.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3229010GTank.jpg

BBoley24
09/12/2007, 03:14 PM
That is sooo awesome. I want to have a dedicated florida tank and I think Lemon bay would offer alot of wild life. I just cant seem to find any snails... can you find any conchs in the area or is that asking to much?

Aquabucket
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10752336#post10752336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcwayne
aquabucket you got that goby where? I have been trying to get gobys with my net and got none. I have gotten filefish and other stuff but never a goby, that is awesome.

These type of gobies can be found right next to shore along tidepools hiding in clumps of gracilaria and of other types of seaweeds. All you have to do is take some blind stabs with a dip net and see what surprises you come up with.

tcwayne
Aquabucket do you reside in both places, Green Bay and Naples?

tcwayne
09/12/2007, 03:18 PM
BBoley I got huge conch at Ft. Desoto, he's about 8 inches long and thick. I don't like when he goes to the top of the tank and shuts water out the top but otherwise really cool.

Aquabucket
09/12/2007, 03:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10752375#post10752375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BBoley24
That is sooo awesome. I want to have a dedicated florida tank and I think Lemon bay would offer alot of wild life. I just cant seem to find any snails... can you find any conchs in the area or is that asking to much?

I think conchs are forbidden for the most part but I am not sure. I collected whelks similar to nassarius snails. They are extremely good scavengers in captivity but will attack other snails and clams. They make a great clean-up crew along with hermits because the hermits don't try to take their shells. The whelks can fight them off with little trouble. You can also find seahares in tidepools and these local species are algae eating machines. They can clean a tank full of algae infested rock within days. When they were done with their work I simply released them back into the wild. I had a bait/collector permit so releasing certain things back into the wild was not a problem.

Aquabucket
09/12/2007, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10752376#post10752376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcwayne
Aquabucket do you reside in both places, Green Bay and Naples?

My collecting days in Florida are over and I miss them. I now live in GB year round.

Another great way to collect is at night with a flash light wading along the shore and from docks.

One of the coolest fish I caught in the weeds was a baby Nassau grouper. Of course I had to release that one right away as they are a protected game fish. Baby toadfish can be caught this way too. they are really cool fish and not difficult to feed in an aquarium.

BBoley24
09/12/2007, 05:42 PM
wow... i used to net peppermint shrimp in galveston at night with a flashlight... of course i did have a license!

tcwayne
09/13/2007, 03:59 AM
Aquabucket I could learn alot from you too bad your not in these parts but if you are look me up.
BBoley if you need any help PM me. I live in St. Pete but I work in Bradenton and Sarasota and I'm kinda all over From Bradenton to Punta Gorda.

tcwayne
09/13/2007, 04:01 AM
What's a seahare look like?

ToniYo
09/13/2007, 06:18 AM
Depends on the type of sea hare. Some are very colorful and others look like grey slugs with wings. We have seasons here in Florida where the wash up on the shore and are everywhere. Some will excrete a purple dye when handled. I live on the water and collecting is my favorite pass time. I find nassarius snails in the grass flats at low tide, ceriths, fighting and crown conchs, sea cucumbers under rocks, sea urchins (the pink pincushions are everywhere), peppermint shrimp, sponges (beware of fire sponge!), sea horses, gobies, blennies, puffer fish ( several species) and tons of other goodies. And yes there is coral out there. I find lots of brain especially in water very near shore but it is illegal to collect. Have fun!

75Gallons
09/13/2007, 07:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10752230#post10752230 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquabucket

Another surprising thing is when you take blind stabs into floating algae and seaweed near the shore along beaches ~ here you can find filefish, puffers, and other surprises.

EDIT: I caught this awesome sandsifting goby right next to shore with a blind stab into the weeds:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/32290Emerald03.jpg

Thats a great looking fish!

BBoley24
09/13/2007, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10756450#post10756450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ToniYo
Depends on the type of sea hare. Some are very colorful and others look like grey slugs with wings. We have seasons here in Florida where the wash up on the shore and are everywhere. Some will excrete a purple dye when handled. I live on the water and collecting is my favorite pass time. I find nassarius snails in the grass flats at low tide, ceriths, fighting and crown conchs, sea cucumbers under rocks, sea urchins (the pink pincushions are everywhere), peppermint shrimp, sponges (beware of fire sponge!), sea horses, gobies, blennies, puffer fish ( several species) and tons of other goodies. And yes there is coral out there. I find lots of brain especially in water very near shore but it is illegal to collect. Have fun!

ummmmmm yeah. That would be what im looking for. Where do you hang out? Cause your past time... is my time to pass... Forget baseball... where are you looking!!!

ToniYo
09/13/2007, 08:27 AM
I'm in Tarpon Springs. We have several places up here that we go to. One is my back yard, one is a little spoil island just outside the mouth of the Anclote River and the other is a spot in Pasco just off the coast.

Sheol
09/13/2007, 09:14 AM
ToniYo,

Ahh, my old stomping grounds! Love it. Used to dive in Crystal River (Trained there).
Have you ever been just south to Clearwater Marine Science Center? Used to do volunteer work there, including dolphin rescues. Those were the days.

Fondly,
Matthew

marino420td
09/13/2007, 10:29 AM
I caught this dude in Panama City last summer (2006), brought him back to Missouri and he is alive and healthy in my 65 gal tank.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/marino420td/mini-IMG_8270.jpg

Just had to buy a 3 day Florida fishing license.

BBoley24
09/13/2007, 10:37 AM
marino good to hear from you! Im glad you chimed in... that is one good looking fish to get out of Florida's coast line... I guess its luck of the draw here... I do see alot of pipefish here and there... are they a good species to put in a florida tank or would they not survive captivity?

ToniYo
09/13/2007, 12:04 PM
Matthew,

Yeah we go south all the time and I love the CMSC. It just seems that the water clarity is better going north. I used to spend 2 weeks every summer at Port Pardise when I was in high school and also did my check out dive there. We spend most of our time at Anclote and love it!

marino420td
09/13/2007, 12:06 PM
There were tons of damsels around the jetties in PCB. I saw lots of pipefish and filefish as well. But I didn't keep any of those.

tcwayne
09/13/2007, 05:01 PM
I need to drive up to Tarpon Springs soon. I just lost my diamond goby that I bought at that store I will never buy fish from again (pet mart) on labor day. My params are excellent and all my other fish are great. He was not harrassed because he dug in and after a couple of days he came out and was scooping up sand like a tractor digging a ditch.

frags on a rock
09/13/2007, 07:52 PM
that would be a cool tank!

thor32766
09/13/2007, 08:17 PM
yeah would be a sweet tank

sean48183
09/13/2007, 08:37 PM
There is a reefer on here and I can't remember his name but he lives just south of the miami area and he collects some of the most awsome stuff in tidal pools right off shore. He would go collecting like every saturday and put pictures up of him in tidal pools waste deep with a net pulling out french angels, queen triggers, porcupine puffers,weird looking damsels and wrasses that I had never even seen before. It was pretty interesting. He had I believe just a fishing liscense if I remember correctly. Anyways good luck collecting a post anything cool you find.

tcwayne
09/14/2007, 05:47 AM
bumpity bump bump

Sheol
09/14/2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah, Clearwater is now an Oxymoron. Only gulf diving I did was far offshore (10-12 miles!) or down at Bradeton. That was killer free diving at Anna Maria Island. Did try to dive off Tarpon Springs, but the weather turned nasty & I backed out of the group. Most of my diving was in the FL. Keys.
I was at CSMC during the time SunSet Sam was alive and well. Even got to do 3-4 dolphing feeding & shows.

Matthew

BBoley24
09/14/2007, 10:54 AM
Jealousy sets in.

tcwayne
10/12/2007, 05:11 AM
BBoley any progress? Pics.